If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band)
|"If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band)"|
|Single by Alabama|
|from the album Roll On|
|B-side||I'm Not That Way Anymore|
|Released||July 16, 1984|
|Recorded||November 3, 1983|
|Length||3:22 (single edit)
3:44 (Greatest Hits Vol. III)
4:28 (album version)
|Alabama singles chronology|
"If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band)" is a song written by Murray Kellum and Dan Mitchell, and recorded by American country music band Alabama. It was released in July 1984 as the third single from the band's album Roll On, and that October, it became the group's 14th consecutive number-one single on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart.
During the first weeks "If You're Gonna Play in Texas..." was on the Billboard chart, the song's flip side, "I'm Not That Way Anymore" was listed as a tag-along "B-side" since the B-side had an accompanying music video which was filmed at Fort Payne High School.
Single and album edit differences
The single edit was more than a minute shorter than the original album version. Two features were deleted from the single version:
- The opening fanfare, featuring Alabama's vocalists — accompanied by just a piano — singing a few bars of "The Eyes of Texas." This introduction leads into the single's opening, which suddenly picks up the tempo to a quick duple-meter.
- A second repeat of the refrain, the first part only accompanied by drums, before the fiddle-led bridge leading to the last part of the song.
The version that appears on the band's Greatest Hits Vol. III album excises the intro but retains the extra refrain.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||1|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
- Billboard, July 21, 1984
- Morris, Edward, "Alabama," Contemporary Books Inc., Chicago, 1985 (ISBN 0809253062)
- Roland, Tom, "The Billboard Book of Number One Country Hits" (Billboard Books, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York, 1991 (ISBN 0-82-307553-2))
- Whitburn, Joel, "Top Country Songs: 1944-2005," 2006.
"I Don't Know a Thing About Love (The Moon Song)"
by Conway Twitty
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
October 27, 1984
"City of New Orleans"
by Willie Nelson
|RPM Country Tracks
November 3, 1984
|This 1980s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|