If You've Got Trouble
|"If You've Got Trouble"|
|Song by the Beatles from the album Anthology 2|
|Released||18 March 1996|
|Recorded||18 February 1965|
|Anthology 2 track listing|
"If You've Got Trouble" is a song written by Lennon–McCartney and recorded by the Beatles on 18 February 1965 with Ringo Starr singing the lead vocal. The song was intended to be Starr's vocal appearance on the Help! album and the Help! film, but the Beatles were not happy with the recording and later chose "Act Naturally" (which is not in the film) instead. "If You've Got Trouble" remained unreleased until Anthology 2 in 1996.
"If You've Got Trouble" was recorded in a session beginning at 6:00pm on 18 February 1965, the fourth day of recording for Help!. It was one of three songs worked on that day, the others being "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (recorded earlier in the day) and "Tell Me What You See" (recorded in the same evening session).
A mono mix of "If You've Got Trouble" was prepared on 20 February 1965. A stereo mix of the song was created for Anthology 2, and this mono mix remains unreleased.
"If You've Got Trouble" was prepared for release in 1984 for the Sessions album. Geoff Emerick edited the arrangement, swapping the verses around and knocking around 20 seconds off the running time. After the release of Sessions was blocked by the surviving Beatles, this version was subsequently widely bootlegged until the unedited version was released on Anthology 2.
Music critic Ian MacDonald said the song was "the only unmitigated disaster in the Lennon–McCartney catalogue", and criticised its lyrics and melody. Beatles' historian Mark Lewisohn agreed, saying it was "not one of the better Lennon–McCartney numbers ... nor was it brilliantly performed." George Harrison himself stated that "it's the most weird song. [...] It's got stupid words and is the naffest song. No wonder it didn't make it onto anything."
- Ringo Starr – double-tracked vocal, drums
- John Lennon – backing vocal, rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – backing vocal, bass
- George Harrison – lead guitar
- George Martin – producer
- Norman Smith – engineer
- Unterberger, Richie. "If You've Got Trouble". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- Lewisohn 1996, pp. 7–9..
- Lewisohn 1988, p. 55.
- Lewisohn 1988, p. 56.
- "The Road to Sessions". John Winn. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- MacDonald 2005, p. 149.
- The Beatles 2000, p. 173.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1996). Anthology 2 (booklet). The Beatles. London: Apple Records. 31796.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- The Beatles (2000). The Beatles Anthology. San Francisco: Chronicle Books. ISBN 0-8118-2684-8.