If You Could See What I Hear
|If You Could See What I Hear|
|Directed by||Eric Till|
|Produced by||Eric Till
Gene Corman (executive producer)
|Written by||Derek Gill
|Music by||Michael Lloyd
Eric N. Robertson
|Edited by||Eric Wrate|
|Distributed by||Ciné 360 Inc.
Jensen Farley Pictures
|January 7, 1982
April 23, 1982
|Budget||CAD $5,600,000 (estimated)|
Tagline: The true story of a born winner!
Tom Sullivan is a blind college student who wants to be normal. When not in class, Tom hangs out with his friend, Sly, who does not treat him like a blind person. In fact, he goes out of his way to challenge Tom. Tom likes to go jogging while Sly leads him on his bicycle. Sly leads him past obstacles such as park benches, shouting out "Bench!" at the last moment so Tom has to jump over it.
On campus, Tom meets a black woman named Heather with whom he falls in love, but she breaks off the relationship because "the black and white thing" coupled with Tom's blindness is too complicated for her. Crushed by Heather's abandonment and experiencing loneliness, Tom continues to struggle with himself, still denying that his blindness affects his "normalcy". Then he meets his future wife, Patti, and his life changes forever.
- Marc Singer ... Tom Sullivan
- R. H. Thomson ... Will Sly
- Shari Belafonte ... Heather Johnson
- Harvey Atkin ... Bert
- Helen Burns ... Mrs. Ruxton
- Douglas Campbell ... Porky Sullivan
- David Gardner ... Jack Steffen
- Nonnie Griffin ... Mrs. Steffen
- Sharon Lewis ... Helga
- Adrienne Pocock ... Blythe Steffen
- Sarah Torgov ... Patti Steffen
- Greer Forward ... Stunt Double for Blythe Steffen (uncredited)
The film was critically panned. Roger Ebert pointed out that the film was intended to be "inspirational and uplifting" and stated that Sullivan "comes across in this movie like a refugee from Animal House. His idea of overcoming his handicap is to party all night." He and Gene Siskel selected the film as one of the worst of the year in a 1982 episode of Sneak Previews.
- If You Could See What I Hear at the Internet Movie Database
- If You Could See What I Hear at AllMovie