If You Leave (album)
|If You Leave|
|Studio album by Daughter|
|Released||18 March 2013|
|Genre||Alternative rock, indie folk, ambient|
|Producer||Igor Haefeli, Rodaidh McDonald|
|Singles from If You Leave|
|Consequence of Sound|||
If You Leave is the debut album by Daughter released under 4AD on 18 March 2013. In anticipation of the album, a music video for the promotional single "Still" was released on 24 January 2013. It was directed by Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard.
Daughter formed in 2010, originally it was meant to be the solo work of singer Elena Tonra she was joined by guitarist Igor Haefeli and drummer Remi Aguilella. They released the Demos EP which started word of mouth on the band, Daughter self-released their debut EP, His Young Heart, on April 20, 2011. Later that same year, they released another EP, The Wild Youth, on October 2 through artist-led Communion Records. The latter EP earned praise from British website For Folk’s Sake who described Daughter as "one of the most unique sounds in the pop landscape today." BBC Radio 1 DJ Huw Stephens also invited them to perform a Maida Vale Session for his show. In 2012 the band were signed to 4AD and began work on their debut album.
Haefeli explained that their approach was that: "we never really rehearsed the songs before recording them. It was really written in the flat and then just recorded in the studio, where a lot of parts came up". The band re-recorded a new version of the song "Youth" in a live setting. 
On 18 March 2013 Daughter released If You Leave and it reached #4 on the UK indie album chart, and #16 on the Top 100. Before the release of If You Leave they released the first single off the album "Smother" in October. It was playlisted by both BBC Radio 1 and 6Music, while being awarded Single of the Week by long-time supporter Huw Stephens. Later on the band released promotional single "Still" which had no official cover and a music video for the song was released on 24 January 2013, directed by Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard. After the release of the album they released the second single from the album "Human" on 29 April 2013 on seven-inch vinyl. During the week of 5 May 2013, the song "Youth" was released as a Free Single of the Week on the iTunes Store.
The album was positively reviewed by BBC Music, who described the sound as "instantly enchanting of design", "wholly hypnotic" and "more engaging than many a peer's offerings." The Guardian, who rated the album a six out of ten, offered a mixed review, characterizing the sound as "atmospheric, but...calculatingly so, especially set against [Tonra's] overwrought poetry."
All songs written by Elena Tonra and Igor Haefeli, except where noted
- Winter - 4:43
- Smother - 4:02
- Youth - 4:13
- Still - 3:33
- Lifeforms - 5:35 (Elena Tonra)
- Tomorrow - 4:41 (Elena Tonra)
- Human - 3:32
- Touch - 4:26
- Amsterdam - 4:03
- Shallows - 6:54
- Elena Tonra - Vocals, guitar
- Igor Haefeli - Guitar, producer
- Remi Aguilella - Drums, percussion
|UK Albums Chart||16|
|UK Indie Chart||4|
|Scottish Albums Chart||27|
|Australian Top 50||50|
|SNEP French Albums Chart||109|
- Metacritic (2013). "Critic Reviews for If You Leave". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- Diver, Mike (2013-03-07). "Daughter If You Leave Review". BBC. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- Hardy, Tony (26 April 2013). "Album Review: Daughter - If You Leave". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 3 Jun 2013.
- Costa, Maddy (2013-03-14). "Daughter - If You Leave review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- Wolfe, Matt (2013-03-18). "Daughter - If You Leave". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- Edwards, Matty (2013-03-20). "Daughter - If You Leave". Epigram. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Daughter – The Wild Youth". For Folk's Sake. 28 Nov 2011. Retrieved 16 Dec 2012.
- "Daughter in session at Maida Vale". BBC Radio 1. 29 Sep 2011. Retrieved 16 Dec 2012.
- "Musicfeeds January 2014" Rachelle Beaven, 'Daughter Talk Laneway 2014, Incremental Success & Album Number Two', Musicfeeds (Australia), 24 January, 2014
- "Daughter albums charts". Official Charts. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Daughter albums charts Top 100". Official Charts. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Killers live, Daughter on the phone, Huw lookalikes". BBC Radio 1. 16 Sep 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Daughter Still video". Ohdaughter. Retrieved 8 May 2013.