If You Leave Me Now
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
|"If You Leave Me Now"|
|Single by Chicago|
|from the album Chicago X|
|Producer(s)||James William Guercio|
|Chicago singles chronology|
"If You Leave Me Now" is the title of a popular hit ballad by the American rock group Chicago, from their album Chicago X. It was written and sung by bass guitar player Peter Cetera and released as a single in July 1976.
It is also the title of a compilation album released by Columbia Records (Columbia 38590) in 1983.
The single topped the US charts on October 23, 1976, and stayed there for two weeks, making it the first number one hit for the group as well as hitting number one on the Easy Listening charts. It also reached number one in the UK on November 13, 1976, maintaining the position for three weeks.
"If You Leave Me Now" was also Chicago's biggest hit worldwide, topping the charts in other countries such as Australia. It won Grammy Awards for Best Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) and Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus. In addition, by August 1978 it had sold 1.4 million copies in the United States alone.
For the past several years Chicago has teamed with the American Cancer Society and offered the opportunity to bid on the chance to sing their hit, "If You Leave Me Now" with them on stage live at their concerts. Proceeds go to the American Cancer Society to fight breast cancer.
|Chart (1976 / 1977)||Peak
|Australian Singles Chart||1|
|Austrian Singles Chart||3|
|Belgian Singles Chart (Flanders)||2|
|Canadian Singles Chart||1|
|Dutch Singles Chart||1|
|German Singles Chart||3|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||4|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||2|
|Swedish Singles Chart||2|
|Swiss Singles Chart||3|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Adult Contemporary||1|
"Disco Duck (Part one)" by Rick Dees & His Cast of Idiots
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
October 23 - November 5, 1976
"Rock 'N Me" by Steve Miller Band
"Mississippi" by Pussycat
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
November 13 - December 12, 1976
"Under the Moon of Love" by Showaddywaddy
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||5,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||500,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||2,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
There have been over 100 versions of "If You Leave Me Now" recorded by artists throughout the world, among them:
- Brotherhood of Man on their 1980 album Sing 20 Number One Hits
- Elkie Brooks released a version of the song on her album Pearls in 1981.
- Mina released a version of the song on her album Finalmente ho conosciuto il Conte Dracula in 1985.
- Peter Cetera re-recorded the song as a solo artist for his 1997 album You're the Inspiration: A Collection.
- Khalil Fong, a R&B singer based in Hong Kong, recorded a version on his second Mandarin album, This Love.
- Isley Brothers on their 2001 album Eternal.
- Danish popstar Christine Milton recorded an uptempo version for her debut album Friday in 2003.
- Philippine bossa nova singer Sitti recorded a cover of this song for her second album My Bossa Nova.
- Maggie Reilly on her 2002 album Save It For A Rainy Day.
- John Barrowman on his 2007 album Another Side.
- Suzy Bogguss on her 2007 album Sweet Danger.
- Upside Down, a British boy band from 1996, charted at number 27
- 3T, feat. T-Rio, 2005
- Boyz II Men on their 2009 album Love
- Egotrippi has released a Finnish version called "Jos Sä Lähdet Pois".
- Jazz singer Laura Zakian on her 2014 album Songs For Modern Lovers
- River Series ft. Alex Charles (vocals), 1995 maxi single containing 4 Eurodance remixes, released by the Dance Pool label.
Live cover performances
- Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind & Fire sang the song during their joint concerts with Chicago in 2004-2006. This version was included in the Love Songs album by Chicago.
- A sample of the song is used by British electronica duo Lemon Jelly on the "Nice Weather For Ducks" B-side "Soft" (2003).
- List of number-one singles in Australia during the 1970s
- List of Dutch Top 40 number-one singles of 1976
- List of number-one singles from the 1970s (UK)
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1976 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1976 (U.S.)
- List of European number-one hits of 1977
- The Very Best Of: Only the Beginning (Media notes). Chicago. Rhino. 2002. pp. 10, 13. R2 76170.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–2001. Record Research. p. 55.
- "1976 The Number One Singles | Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- Green, Paul (August 26, 1978). "Platinum Singles Top '76–'77 Years". Billboard 90 (34): 114. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Chicago – If You Leave Me Now – Austriancharts.at". austriancharts.at (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". Ultratop (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Top Singles". RPM 26 (2): 23. October 9, 1976. ISSN 0315-5994. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". GfK Dutch Charts (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Single – Chicago, If You Leave Me Now". charts.de (in German). Media Control. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Charts.org.nz – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Chicago – If You Leave Me Now – Hitparade.ch". hitparade.ch (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Canadian single certifications – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". Music Canada. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "British single certifications – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved January 10, 2013. Enter If You Leave Me Now in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American single certifications – Chicago – If You Leave Me Now". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH