If You Want My Love
|"If You Want My Love"|
|Single by Cheap Trick|
|from the album One on One|
|B-side||Four Letter Word|
|Format||7" Single, 12" single, CD single|
|Producer||Roy Thomas Baker|
|Cheap Trick singles chronology|
"If You Want My Love" is a single from American rock band Cheap Trick which appeared on the 1982 album One on One. It was written by guitarist Rick Nielsen. The single was released in 1982 and peaked at #45 in the US. In the Netherlands, the single became the band's last chart appearance in the country at #26.
The single showed a change in style in the band, heading towards a more commercial sound. It was released on 7" vinyl only. One edit of the single was created for the Dutch release, removing approx half a minute from the track.
A music video was created for the single, airing frequently on MTV.
The single's artwork used a similar theme to the album's artwork.
The single remains one of the most well-known tracks from the album and also appears on numerous greatest hits compilations.
Track listing 
- 7" Single
- "If You Want My Love" - 3:35
- "Four Letter Word" - 3:39
- 7" Single (Dutch edition)
- "If You Want My Love" - 3:06
- "Four Letter Word" - 3:41
- 7" Single (Spanish promo)
- "If You Want My Love" - 3:35
- "Four Letter Word" - 3:37
Critical reception 
Christopher Connelly of Rolling Stone described the song as being "easily Cheap Trick's best slow song since 'Take Me I'm Yours' and a stunning example of what this band can do when it forgets about being commercial in these days when heavy metal rules the world." Connelly also commented on the song's "smashing guitar attack" and noted the similarity of the song's middle eight to that of The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
Allmusic.com picks the track as an AMG recommended track.
In a review of the 1996 four disc box set "Sex, America, Cheap Trick", Billboard Magazine wrote of the band's decline in the early to mid-1980s, writing "Despite the dispriting times, Cheap Trick never ceased producing the occasional Beatlesque gem, such as "If You Want My Love," from "One on One" ('82); "I Can't Take It," from the Todd Rundgren-produced "Next Position Please" ('83); and "Tonight It's You" from "Standing on the Edge" ('85) - each included on the box."
In the 2007 book "Shake Some Action: The Ultimate Power Pop Guide", a section on Cheap Trick featured reviews on the top 20 stand-out tracks from the band. One track included was "If You Want My Love", where the author John M. Borack wrote "Best ballad of the '80s anyone? For sheer Lennon-meets-McCartney-head-on splendor, it's damned hard to top. One of Zander's finest leads ever, punctuated by his oh-so-Paulie 'woooos'."
Chart performance 
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||2|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||26|
|Polish Singles Chart||2|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||57|
|US Billboard Hot 100 Chart||45|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart||11|
- Robin Zander - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Rick Nielsen - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Jon Brant - bass, backing vocals
- Bun E. Carlos - drums, percussion
Additional personnel 
- Roy Thomas Baker - producer
- Ian Taylor – engineer
- Paul Klingberg – assistant
- George Marino – mastering
- David Michael Kennedy – photographer single cover
- Writers of "If You Want My Love" – Rick Nielsen
- Writers of "Four Letter Word" - Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander
- "Explore Releases on Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - If You Want My Love (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - One On One at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "If You Want My Love - Cheap Trick". YouTube. 2009-07-04. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - Silver at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Christgau, R.. "Robert Christgau Cheap Trick". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Connelly, C. (July 8, 1992). "One on One". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Thomas, Stephen. "One on One - Cheap Trick". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Cheap Trick search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Stichting Nederlandse Top 40.
- "Cheap Trick - If You Want My Love". Chart Stats. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-03-11.