|Elevation||3,670 ft (1,120 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Iganga is a town in Eastern Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center of Iganga District and the district headquarters are located there. The district is named after the town.
Iganga is located in Uganda's Busoga sub-region. It lies approximately 44 kilometres (27 mi), by road, northeast of the city of Jinja, on the highway between Jinja and Tororo. The coordinates of the town of Iganga are: 00 36 54N, 33 29 06E (Latitude:0.6150; Longitude:33.4850).
Iganga town has several Internet cafes, several guest houses, and a bustling market in the center of town beside the taxi park. Town landmarks include the Iganga Hospital, a 120-bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health. Another landmark is the DevelopNet Iganga Project, which houses an Internet cafe and a community center for the Iganga District NGO/CBO Forum. Mwaana Hotel is one of the hospitality establishments in town. Busoga University, located 1 mile (1.6 km) west of downtown Iganga, on the highway between Iganga and Jinja, commenced operations on February 12, 1999. International Hand Iganga is a NGO operating in the area supporting education and community development. The main offices of the organisation are located in the United States of America. International Hand Foundation is a registered 501 (c)(3) non-profit charitable organization.
Iganga is served by a station on the Uganda Railways. The highway from the border with Kenya at Malaba, passes through Tororo and through Iganga, on the way to Jinja and on to Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.
In 2002, the national census estimated Iganga's population at about 39,500. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at approximately 51,800. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Iganga at 53,700. Iganga has no railway station.
The landmarks within the town limits or close to the edges of town include:
- The headquarters of Iganga District Administration
- The offices of Iganga Town Council
- The main campus of Busoga University - One of the thirty (30) universities in Uganda
- Iganga Hospital - A 120 bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Iganga Railway Station - A railway station on the Uganda Railways, administered by Rift Valley Railways
- A branch of Bank of Baroda
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Crane Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Opportunity Uganda Limited, a Tier II Financial Institution
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited, a Tier III Financial Institution
- A branch of Uganda Finance Trust Limited, a Tier III Financial Institution
- Iganga Central Market