|Elevation||3,670 ft (1,120 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Iganga is a town in Eastern Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center of Iganga District and the district headquarters are located there. The district is named after the town.
Iganga is located in Uganda's Busoga sub-region. It lies approximately 45 kilometres (28 mi), by road, northeast of the city of Jinja, on the highway between Jinja and Tororo. This location lies approximately 118 kilometres (73 mi), by road, southeast of Mbale, the largest city in Eastern Uganda. The coordinates of the town of Iganga are:0°36'54.0"N, 33°29'06.0"E (Latitude:0.6150; Longitude:33.4850).
Iganga town has several Internet cafes, several guest houses, and a bustling market in the center of town beside the taxi park. Points of interest in the town include the Iganga Hospital, a 120-bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health. Another point of interest is the DevelopNet Iganga Project, which houses an Internet cafe and a community center for the Iganga District NGO/CBO Forum. Mwaana Hotel is one of the hospitality establishments in town. Busoga University, located 1 mile (1.6 km) west of downtown Iganga, on the highway between Iganga and Jinja, commenced operations on February 12, 1999. International Hand Iganga is an NGO operating in the area supporting education and community development. The main offices of the organisation are located in the United States of America. International Hand Foundation is a registered 501 (c)(3) non-profit charitable organization.
Iganga is served by a station on the Uganda Railways. The highway from the border with Kenya at Malaba, passes through Tororo and through Iganga, on the way to Jinja and on to Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.
In 2002, the national census estimated Iganga's population at about 39,500. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at approximately 51,800. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Iganga at 53,700.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- The headquarters of Iganga District Administration
- The offices of Iganga Town Council
- The main campus of Busoga University - One of the over thirty private universities in Uganda
- Iganga Hospital - A 120 bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Iganga Railway Station
- A branch of Bank of Baroda
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Crane Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Opportunity Uganda Limited, a Tier II Financial Institution
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited, a Tier III Financial Institution
- Iganga Central Market
- "Distance Between Jinja and Iganga With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Mbale And Iganga With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Iganga At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Iganga In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 31 May 2014.