In 1980 Ignacio left his country during the Mariel Boatlift, moved to New York and joined Dizzy Gillespie’s quartet in 1981 becoming the drummer of all the important bands Gillespie formed until his death in 1993.
Ignacio Berroa has been recognized by many as one of the greatest drummers of our times. Jazz Legend Dizzy Gillespie best defined Ignacio as: “… the only Latin drummer in the world in the history of American music that intimately knows both worlds: his native Afro-Cuban music as well as Jazz…”
As an educator Ignacio has conducted clinics and master classes all over the world. As an author he made his mark with the instructional video: Mastering the Art of Afro – Cuban Drumming as well as the books: Groovin’ in Clave and A New Way of Groovin’.
His first album as a leader, “Codes”, released under Blue Note Records, was nominated for a Grammy in 2007. “Codes” also won a Danish Music Award in 2007 as best International Jazz Album. He was recently honored by inclusion in the 2011 Blue Note and Modern Drummer Release entitled "Jazz Drumming Legends". He is currently working on a new album for 5Passion Records and plans to produce a new instructional DVD under the same banner.
Ignacio has recorded and played with musicians of the stature of: McCoy Tyner, Chick Corea, Wynton Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard, Jackie McLean, Michael Brecker, Joe Lovano, Jaco Pastorius, Ron Carter, Charlie Haden, Tito Puente and Gonzalo Rubalcaba, just to name a few.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2012)|
Ignacio Berroa Selected Discography:
• Ignacio Berroa: Heritage and Passion • Ignacio Berroa: Codes (Grammy Nominee) • “Jazz Drumming Legends”: MP3 Compilation • BBC Legends, Dizzy Gillespie 70th Anniversary Big Band: Life at The Royal Festival Hall • Dizzy Gillespie: United Nation Orchestra: Life at The Royal Festival Hall (Grammy Award Winner) • McCoy Tyner: La Leyenda de La Hora • Tito Puente: Latin Jazz All Stars in Session. • Charlie Haden: Nocturne, (Grammy Award Winner) • Charlie Haden: Land of the Sun. (Grammy Award Winner) • Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Inner Voyage. (Grammy Nominee) • Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Supernova. (Grammy Award Winner) • Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Paseo (Grammy Nominee) • Danilo Perez: The Journey
- Ignacio Berroa Official Website
- RadioRuba! Official Internet Radio Station
- 5Passion Official Label Website
- 5Passion Artist Blog Official Label Website
- Brown, Marisa. "Ignacio Berroa: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
|This article on a Cuban musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a jazz drummer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|