Ignacio M. Llorente
Llorente graduated in physics with a major in computer science in 1992 and obtained his Ph.D. in physics with a speciality in computer science in 1995 at the Complutense University of Madrid and an Executive MBA in 2003 from IE Business School. After finishing his Ph.D. on efficient execution of scientific applications on parallel computers, he worked on parallel systems with different scaling models. Llorente was promoted to associate professor at the Complutense University of Madrid in 1997, and from 1997 to 2002, he held consultancy positions at the Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering at the NASA Langley Research Center. At NASA he conducted research on multigrid methods and their application to computational fluid dynamics, and their parallel implementation.
Since 2002, Llorente led the Distributed Systems Architecture Research Group, in large-scale distributed infrastructures, advanced virtualization technologies and distributed computing, and resource provision platforms. Supporting projects including the EU-funded RESERVOIR project. He has focused his research on architectures, meta-scheduling  and benchmarking for grid computing; and cloud computing architectures and federation. These efforts have resulted in several open-source technologies, such as Globus, GridWay, and OpenNebula. Llorente was promoted to full professor in 2006. From 2002 to 2007, he also held a senior pesearcher position in the Advanced Computing Lab at CAB (CSIC/INTA center associated to NASA Astrobiology Institute). In 2009 Llorente co-founded and co-chaired the Open Grid Forum Working Group on the Open Cloud Computing Interface. Since 2009 he participated in the European Cloud Computing Group of Experts.
In 2010, he co-founded C12G Labs, a cloud computing technology start-up which leads OpenNebula development.
- "Publications. Grid and Utility Computing Technologies". Distributed Systems Architecture Research Group. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "Publications. Virtualization and Cloud Computing Technologies". Distributed Systems Architecture Research Group. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- I. M. Llorente, F. Tirado, L. Vázquez. "Some Aspects about the Scalability of Scientific Applications on Parallel Computers", Parallel Computing, Vol. 22, pp. 1169-1195, 1996
- I. M. Llorente, F. Tirado. "Relationships between Efficiency an Execution Time of Full Multigrid Methods on Parallel Computers", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 8, Nº 6, pp. 562-573, 1997
- M. Prieto, I. M. Llorente, F. Tirado. "Data Locality Exploitation in the Decomposition of Regular Domain Problems", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 11, Nº 11, pp. 1141-1150, 2000.
- NASA Langley Technical Reports by Ignacio M. Llorente
- I. M. Llorente, B. Diskin, N. D. Nelson. "Alternating Plane Smoothers for Multiblock Grids", SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, Vol. 22, Nº 1, pp. 218-242, 2000
- R. S. Montero, I. M. Llorente, M. D. Salas. "Robust Multigrid Algorithms for the Navier-Stokes Equations", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 173 pp. 412-432, 2001
- I. M. Llorente, M. Prieto-Matias, B. Diskin. "An Parallel Multigrid Solver for 3-D Convection and Convection-Diffusion Problems", Parallel Computing, Vol. 27, Nº 13, pp. 1715-1741, 2001
- RESERVOIR Seed Team with I. M. Llorente. "RESERVOIR - An ICT Infrastructure for Reliable and Effective Delivery of Services as Utilities", IBM Technical Report, H-0262 (H0810-009) February 1, 2008
- Ignacio M. Llorente, Rubén S. Montero, Eduardo Huedo. "A Loosely Coupled Vision for Computational Grids", IEEE Distributed Systems Online, Vol. 6, Nº 5, 2005.
- E. Huedo, R. S. Montero, I. M. Llorente. "A Framework for Adaptive Execution on Grids", Journal of Software -- Practice and Experience, Vol. 34, pp. 631-651, 2004
- R. S. Montero, E. Huedo, I. M. Llorente. "Benchmarking of High Throughput Computing Applications on Grids", Parallel Computing, Vol. 32, Nº 4 , pp. 267-279, 2006
- B. Rochwerger, J. Caceres, R.S. Montero, D. Breitgand, E. Elmroth, A. Galis, E. Levy, I.M. Llorente, K. Nagin, Y. Wolfsthal, E. Elmroth, J. Caceres, M. Ben-Yehuda, W. Emmerich, F. Galan. "The RESERVOIR Model and Architecture for Open Federated Cloud Computing", IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol. 53, No. 4. (2009)
- R. Moreno-Vozmediano, R.S. Montero, I.M. Llorente. "Multi-Cloud Deployment of Computing Clusters for Loosely-Coupled MTC Applications", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2011.
- E. Huedo, R. S. Montero, I. M. Llorente. "Grid Architecture from a Metascheduling Perspective", IEEE Computer, Vol. 43, Nº 7, pp. 51-56, 2010.
- B. Sotomayor, R. S. Montero, I. M. Llorente, I. Foster. "Virtual Infrastructure Management in Private and Hybrid Clouds", IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 14-22, Sep./Oct. 2009.
- "Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) WG Charter", March 2009.
- European Commission Expert Group Report. "The Future of Cloud Computing"
- Personal web page
- CloudBook Profile of Ignacio M. Llorente
- The Next Generation of Cloud Computing Platforms, An Interview with Ignacio M. Llorente, Science, Technology and Innovation Projects, August 2010.
- Cloudview: An Interview with Dr. Ignacio M. Llorente, HPC in the Cloud, May 2010