Ignacio Pérez Santamaría
Nacho training with Betis
|Full name||Ignacio Pérez Santamaría|
|Date of birth||24 June 1980|
|Place of birth||Málaga, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|2004–2005||→ Levante (loan)||27||(4)|
|2008||→ Real Sociedad (loan)||16||(1)|
|2008–2009||→ Málaga (loan)||34||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 November 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
A product of Málaga CF's youth system, Nacho was born in Málaga, and he made his first-team debut on 23 March 2003, in a 1–1 La Liga home draw with Celta de Vigo. He went on to play four seasons with the Andalusia club, with a loan to fellow top-divisoner Levante UD in between.
In July 2006, upon Málaga's top flight relegation, Nacho joined Madrid's Getafe CF. Scarcely used during his second season he would be loaned in January 2008 to second level's Real Sociedad, as the Basque side ultimately failed to return to the top flight, with the player appearing in 16 matches – 13 as a starter.
For the 2008–09 campaign Nacho was loaned again, rejoining former team Málaga. Mainly used as a substitute he scored his first goal in his second spell in a 3–1 away win against Real Valladolid on 22 February 2009, helping the side finish eighth immediately after promoting.
In late August 2009 Nacho moved to Real Betis in division two, for the next three seasons. During most of his stint with the club he was used as an offensive left back, and played 34 games in his second year as the Verdiblancos returned to the top division after two years.
Nacho's father, who also bore the same nickname, played as a defender for CD Málaga during 1976–84, appearing in 69 top division games over the course of four seasons. There, he shared teams with his brother Juan Carlos, who still spent the following campaign with the club, and both continued to work with their main team (under its new denomination) in medical capacities following their retirement.
- "Valladolid 1–3 Málaga". ESPN Soccernet. 22 February 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Nacho ya es nuevo futbolista del Real Betis" [Nacho is new Betis player] (in Spanish). Real Betis. 28 August 2009.
- "El lateral izquierdo, el único puesto sin sustituto" [Left-back, the only position without a backup] (in Spanish). Al Final de La Palmera. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Nacho, contra su familia (Nacho, against his family); Al Final de La Palmera, 29 September 2012 (Spanish)
- José Ignacio Pérez Frías at BDFutbol
- Juan Carlos Pérez Frías at BDFutbol
- Betis official profile (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Betisweb stats and bio (Spanish)
- Transfermarkt profile