Ignatius Joseph III Yonan
|Patriarch of Antioch and all the East of the Syrians|
|Elected||20 January 2009|
|Enthroned||15 February 2009|
|Predecessor||Ignatius Peter VIII Abdalahad|
|Other posts||Bishop of Beirut|
|Ordination||12 September 1971|
|Consecration||7 January 1996
by Antony II Hayyek
|Birth name||Ephrem Joseph Yonan|
15 November 1944 |
|Previous post||Bishop of Our Lady of Deliverance of Newark (1995-2009)|
Ignatius Ephrem Joseph III Younan (or Yonan, Syriac: ܐܓܢܛܝܘܣ ܝܘܣܦ ܬܠܝܬܝܐ ܝܘܢܢ, born November 15, 1944) is the Patriarch of Antioch and all the East of the Syrians for the Syriac Catholic Church since his election on January 20, 2009.
Ephrem Joseph Yonan was born at Hassaké, Syria on November 15, 1944 and was ordained a priest on September 12, 1971. He served as director of the Seminary of Charfet for two years, as Director of Catechesis of the diocese of Hassaké for seven years and as pastor of the Church of the Annunciation in Beirut up to 1986.
In 1986 he was sent to the United States to establish missions for the Syrian Catholic faithful. He founded a mission in Newark, New Jersey (Our Lady of Deliverance) and others in North Hollywood (Sacred Heart) in 1991 and in San Diego (Our Mother of Perpetual Help) in 1994.
On November 6, 1995, Pope John Paul II erected the Syrian Catholic Eparchy of Our Lady of Deliverance in Newark for all the Syrian Catholics of the United States and Canada, and appointed Ephrem Joseph Yonan as first eparch (bishop). He was thus consecrated bishop on January 7, 1996 by Ignatius Antony II Hayyek and served in the United States until his election as Primate and Patriarch of the Syriac Catholic Church on January 20, 2009. His election was confirmed by Pope Benedict XVI on January 22, 2009.
Along with Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, Patriarch Ignatius Joseph III Yonan served as a co-president of the October 2010 Special Assembly of the Synod of Bishops for the Middle East in the Vatican.
Patriarch Ignatius Joseph III Yonan has visited various of his flock in the diaspora. For example Australia and the United States.
 Work in the Church
 Political views
 Syrian situation
He has continuously claimed that the situation in Syria is not a civil war, but rather insurgents. He has also called on western countries to not support insurgents in Syria as well as condemned them for not caring about Middle Eastern Christians.
|Catholic Church titles|
Ignatius Peter VIII Abdalahad
|Patriarch of Antioch of the Syrian Catholic Church
20 January 2009 -
|Bishop of Eparchy of Our Lady of Deliverance North America
1986 - 2009
Bishop Joseph (Youssif) Habash
- "Interview with Patriarch Younan". Real Catholic TV. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- "Eparchy of Our Lady of Deliverance of Newark (Syrian)". catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved August 22, 2010.
- Sharon Bernstein (November 19, 1995). "Valley Priest to Be Bishop of New Diocese". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 22, 2010.
- "Pontiff Urges Syriac Leader to Remember Diaspora". ZENIT News Agency. January 23, 2009.
- "Patriarchal Visit in the USA and Canada". Syriac Catholic Patriarchate.
- "Syriac Catholic Church investigation concludes in a report for the Bishop Mar Flapejanos Mikhail Malki to be beatified". Syriac Catholic Patriarchate.
- "Archbishop Ignace Joseph III (Ephrem) Younan". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2009-01-27.