7 April 1959 |
Yugoslavia (now part of Slovenia)
|58 charges theft|
|30 months in jail|
|released (early March 2010)|
|Conviction(s)||16 charges theft (15 December 2009)|
Igor Kenk (born 7 April 1959) is known since 2008 as the most infamous and prolific bicycle thief in Canada. More than 3,000 bicycles were recovered in police raids. Kenk pleaded guilty to sixteen criminal code offence charges of theft on 15 December 2009 at Old City Hall court. He was dubbed "the world's most prolific bike thief".
Kenk was long known for operating the Bicycle Clinic, a bike repair shop on Queen St. W, Toronto, Ontario. In May 1993, Kenk was charged with the criminal code offence of possession of stolen property. The Toronto Police Service confiscated 140 bikes but the charges were later dismissed.
The Toronto Police Service (14th Division) raided the Bicycle Clinic on 16 July 2008. However, the Toronto Fire Department blocked the police from entering the building for safety reasons. A Fire Department rescue squad had to remove the upper-floor windows and lower the bicycles by rope because the Queen West store was crammed with bicycles and bike parts. A police sting uncovered 2,865 bikes in garages and warehouses throughout the city. The 50-year-old repair man was hit with 58 charges relating to bike theft and 22 charges relating to drugs.
His warehouses have been emptied, and about 450 bikes restored to their owners.
Judge Kathleen Caldwell sentenced Kenk to 30 months in jail. After time spent awaiting trial, Kenk's term is likely to be four months.
Kenk was released in early March 2010, after serving sixteen months in prison.
- "Igor the Terrible - Page 4". torontolife.com. October 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- Austen, Ian (21 August 2008). "Toronto Journal - In a Cyclist-Friendly City, a Black Hole for Bikes". Toronto (Ontario): NYTimes.com. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "CTV Toronto - Igor Kenk to remain in Don Jail until trial - CTV News, Shows and Sports - Canadian Television". Toronto.ctv.ca. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- O'Toole, Megan (15 December 2009). "Toronto bike thief going to jail". National Post. News.globaltv.com. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- Pidd, Helen (26 August 2008). "2,865 bikes recovered from world's most prolific cycle thief". The Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
- "Legenda o Mariborčanu, ki je v Kanadi kradel kolesa" [A Legend About a Man from Maribor who Stole Bicycles in Canada]. Večer.com (in Slovene) (Časopisno založniško podjetje VEČER, d.d.). 28 January 2012.
- "Igor Kenk returns to jail - Posted Toronto". Network.nationalpost.com. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "The Igor Kenk / Bicycle Clinic Saga - BikingToronto Community". Bikingtorontocommunity.ning.com. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- Scowen, Peter (3 February 2010). "Igor Kenk gets book treatment". globeandmail.com. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- The Serenity of Igor Kenk
- Broken Pencil : Kenk : A Graphic Portrait http://www.brokenpencil.com/view.php?id=5371
- Kenk: A Graphic Portrait http://momentumplanet.com/articles/kenk-a-graphic-portrait
- Toronto Police Reports about Kenk at Centre for Local Research into Public Space (CELOS)
- Boing Boing http://boingboing.net/2010/08/13/kenk-graphic-novel-h.html
- Quill and Quire http://www.cbc.ca/books/reviews/2010/07/kenk:-a-graphic-portrait.html