Igor R. Klebanov (Russian: И́горь Романович Клеба́нов; 29 March 1962) is a Russian-American theoretical physicist whose research is centered on relations between string theory and quantum gauge field theory. Since 1989, he has been a Professor at Princeton University where he is currently a Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics.
Born in the Soviet Union in 1962, he emigrated to the U.S. as a teenager. He received his undergraduate education at MIT (class of 1982), and his Ph.D. degree at Princeton University as a student of Curtis Callan in 1986. In his thesis he made advances in the Skyrme model of hadrons. Klebanov worked as a post-doc at SLAC. His main contributions to string theory are in Matrix model approaches to two-dimensional strings, in brane dynamics, and more recently in the gauge theory-gravity duality. His work in 1996-97 on relations between branes in supergravity and their gauge theory description anticipated the gauge theory-gravity correspondence.
Klebanov's 1998 paper Gauge Theory Correlators from Non-Critical String Theory with his graduate student Gubser, and Polyakov, which made a precise statement of the AdS/CFT duality, is among the all-time top cited papers in high-energy physics. A series of papers by Klebanov and collaborators on D-branes on the conifold has led to discovery of cascading gauge theory. Its dual warped throat provides a geometric description of color confinement and chiral symmetry breaking; it has been used in model building for cosmology and particle physics. The relation between 3-dimensional critical O(N) model and bosonic higher-spin gauge theory in 4-dimensional AdS space has been called the Klebanov-Polyakov correspondence.
- 2010 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 2010 Princeton University Graduate Mentoring Award
- 2014 Tomassoni Prize
- hep-th/9702076 "World Volume Approach to Absorption by Non-dilatonic Branes ", High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th) Igor R. Klebanov, 10 Feb 1997
- hep-th/9802109 "Gauge Theory Correlators from Non-Critical String Theory", High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th) S.S. Gubser, I.R. Klebanov, A.M. Polyakov, 16 Feb 1998
- hep-th/0007191 "Supergravity and a Confining Gauge Theory: Duality Cascades and Chiral Symmetry Breaking-Resolution of Naked Singularities" High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th); Igor R. Klebanov (Princeton), Matthew J. Strassler (IAS) 24 Jul 2000
- hep-th/0210114 "AdS Dual of the Critical O(N) Vector Model", High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th) I.R. Klebanov, A.M. Polyakov, 13 Nov 2002
- "Some stringy aspects of the AdS/CFT duality", Strings 2002, Igor Klebanov
- Solving Quantum Field Theories via Curved Spacetimes, Physics Today, Igor Klebanov and Juan Maldacena.