Игорь Дмитриевич Сергун
|Director of Russian Military Intelligence|
|Prime Minister||Vladimir Putin|
|Preceded by||Alexander Shlyakhturov|
|Born||March 28, 1957|
|Service/branch||Armed Forces of the Russian Federation|
|Years of service||1973–|
First Chechen War
Second Chechen War
|Awards||Order of Military Merit
Order of Honour
Medal for Battle Merit
Medal "In Commemoration of the 850th Anniversary of Moscow"
Jubilee Medal "60 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
Jubilee Medal "70 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
Medal "For Impeccable Service"
Lieutenant General Igor Dmitrievich Sergun (in Russian: И́горь Дми́триевич Сергу́н , born 28 March 1957) is a Russian military officer. He is currently Director of the GRU, the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Gen. Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, since December 26, 2011.
He was born in March 28, 1957. He served in the Armed Forces since 1973, and graduated from the Moscow Suvorov Military School and the Moscow Supreme Soviet Higher Military Command School, and the Military Academy of the Soviet Army and as well in the Military Academy of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
He worked in military intelligence since 1984, and served in various positions in the Main Intelligence Directorate. He speaks several foreign languages and was awarded state awards. In 1998 as a colonel, he served as a RF Military Attaché in Tirana.
In December 2011, he was appointed as Head of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Russian General Staff.
- Order of Military Merit
- Order of Honour
- Medal for Battle Merit
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 850th Anniversary of Moscow"
- Jubilee Medal "60 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "70 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Medal "For Impeccable Service", 1st class
- Medal of the Order "For Merit", 2nd class
- Medal "For strengthening of the state system of protection of information", 2nd class
- "Medal "Participant of Operation March-Shot Bosnia-Kosovo 12 June 1999"
- "Official biography of the Chief of the New Russian Military Intelligence, Igor Sergun", official website of the Russian Ministry of Defence.
- Voice of America, Russia Names New GRU Chief, January 2012
- RIA Novosti Col. Gen. Alexander Shlyakhturov has retired as chief of Russia’s military intelligence agency and handed over his duties to Maj. Gen. Igor Sergun
- RIA Novosti, Russian Military Intelligence Targets Terrorism Hot Spots, GRU Director said, January 19, 2012
- President Medvedev visited the GRU Headquarters after Igor Sergun's Appointment, Kremlin.ru, January 19, 2012.
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Powerful Russians Hit By Toughest U.S. Sanctions Yet, March 20 , 2014 (photo no 7)
December 26, 2011–present