|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
|LGA and suburb|
Murtala Mohammed International Airport
Location in Lagos
|Elevation||128 ft (39 m)|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+1)|
Ikeja is a suburb of the city of Lagos and the capital of Lagos State. It is also one of Nigeria's 774 Local Government Areas (LGAs). The Murtala Mohammed International Airport is located there. Prior to the emergence of military rule in the early 1980s, Ikeja was a well planned, clean and quiet residential environment with shopping malls, pharmacies and government reservation areas. Ikeja is also home to the Femi Kuti's Africa Shrine and Lagbaja's Motherlan', both live music venues. It now boasts of a large shopping mall "Ikeja City Mall" which is the biggest mall in the Lagos mainland and also has a cinema.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
IKEJA is an abbreviation meaning Ikorodu and Epe Joint Administration. It was coined by colonial administrators for ease of administration.
Government and infrastructure
The Local Government administrative headquarters of Ikeja is located within the Ikeja Local Government premises. The Chairman (Mayor) of Ikeja local government is Mr. Wale Odunlami. Under his tenure, Ikeja has witnessed significant infrastructural and educational development.
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria has its headquarters in Ikeja on the grounds of Murtala Muhammad Airport. The Accident Investigation Bureau of the Nigerian government is headquartered in Ikeja. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has its Lagos office in Aviation House on the grounds of the airport.
Schools in Ikeja include the Vivian Fowler Memorial College For Girls.
Several airlines have their head offices in Ikeja. Arik Air's head office is in the Arik Air Aviation Center on the grounds of Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Ikeja. Air Nigeria's (formerly Nigerian Eagle and Virgin Nigeria Airways) head office is located on the 9th Floor of Etiebets Place in Ikeja. Aero Contractors has its head office on the grounds of Murtala Muhammed International Airport. Overland Airways has its head office in Ikeja. Other airlines with head offices in Ikeja include Associated Aviation and Dana Air.
At one time Nigeria Airways had its head office in Airways House in Ikeja. Prior to its disestablishment Afrijet Airlines had its head office in the NAHCO Building on the grounds of the airport. Bellview Airlines had its headquarters in the Bellview Plaza in Ikeja. Other disestablished airlines with head offices in Ikeja include Sosoliso Airlines, and ADC Airlines.
Communities in the area include:
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2009)|
Ikeja is home to a large computer market, popularly known as Otigba. Begun in 1997 as a small market of only 10 shops, the current market now has well over 2000. While most vendors provide the expected computer sales and repair services, it is also possible to find sales and repair services for various types of office equipment and electronic devices.
As the market is unplanned, it has experienced growing pains. Some local residents are upset at the expanding market. Traffic around the area has become very congested, and it can be almost impossible to find a place to park. The electrical infrastructure, already overloaded and unreliable, has become highly stressed with the new market. Computer and electronics stores require power to work on computers and demonstrate their products to potential customers, and this added load has made the supply erratic.
- Anger follows Lagos blasts, CNN News January 29, 2002. Retrieved February 18, 2007
- Talking Point - Lagos Explosion, BBC News January 31, 2002. Retrieved February 18, 2007
- "Contact Information." Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria. Retrieved on 8 September 2010.
- "Contact Us." Accident Investigation Bureau. Retrieved on 9 June 2009.
- "Contact Us." Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority. Retrieved on 9 September 2010.
- "New aircraft to make arik air the largest commercial carrier in nigeria arik air reflects on six months of flying “the new experience”." Arik Air. 28 March 2007. Retrieved on 8 September 2010. "For more information, please contact: Gbemiga Ogunieye, Head of Communications, Arik Air Ltd, Arik Air Aviation Centre, Murtula Muhammed Domestic Airport, PO Box 10468, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria."
- "AN Registered Offices." Air Nigeria. Retrieved on 28 June 2010.
- "Offices & Phone Numbers." Aero Contractors. Retrieved on 8 September 2010.
- "Ticket Outlets." Overland Airways. Retrieved on 27 November 2010. "Lagos (Head Office) Travel Centre Shop 17, Simbiat Abiola Road Off Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way Ikeja."
- "Contact Us." Associated Aviation. Retrieved on 3 December 2010. "Associated Aviation’s headquarters is located at: 56 MKO Abiola Crescent off Toyin Street. Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria."
- "Contact us." Dana Air. Retrieved on 27 November 2010. "(Administrative Office) 51, Allen Avenue Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria."
- "Nigeria Office." Virgin Atlantic Airways. Retrieved on 14 December 2009.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. March 29, 1986. 108. "Head Office: PO Box 136, Airways House, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria."
- "World Airline Directory – Nigeria Airways" (pdf). Flight International: 114. 14 March 1990 – 7 April 2003. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
PO Box 136 Airways House, Ikeja Lagos Nigeria 22646Check date values in:
- Ketefe, Kayode. "Firm acquires Airways HQ for N950m." The Punch. Wednesday 1 February 2006. Retrieved on 20 September 2009.
- "Directory:World airlines." Flight International. 16–22 March 2004. 53.
- "Contacts." Bellview Airlines. 21 April 2008. Retrieved on 27 November 2010. "CORPORATE HEAD OFFICE Bellview Plaza 66b, Opebi Road, Ikeja P.M.B 21766, Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria"
- "Contact us." Sosoliso Airlines. 3 December 2003. Retrieved on 3 October 2009.
- World Airline Directory. Flight International. 3–9 April 1996. - 0772.html 36. Retrieved on 3 October 2009.
- Focus on the Ikeja Computer Village, Lagos, NigeriaBusinessInfo.com, September 2, 2002. Retrieved April 11, 2008