Ikerbasque, the Basque Foundation for Science, is a foundation promoted by the Basque Government through its Department of Education, Universities and Research in 2007.
Ikerbasque aims to strengthen the Basque Science system by the recruitment of senior and experienced researchers in all the fields of activity, and attract them to Basque R&D system; and by creating new research centers (BERC: Basque Excellence Research Centers).
To achieve its objectives Ikerbasque works closely with the agents of the Basque Science, Technology and Innovation network within a long-term collaboration relationship that allow Ikerbasque Researchers to integrate in research groups within these universities, research and technology centers.
The profile of these scientists is that of an experienced researcher capable of leading new research groups, or fostering existing groups, and opening up novel state of the art research topics within the Basque Science community. 
Ikerbasque impulsed 6 Basque Excellence Research Centers, 3 of them have been created by the foundation (BC3 - Basque Center for Climate Change, BCAM - Basque Center for Applied Mathematics and BCBL - Basque Center for Cognition, Brain and Language), and the other 3 where created before, in cooperation with the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) (Donostia International Physics Center, Material Physics Center and Biophysics Unit)
In 2010, European Commission awarded Ikerbasque with a Marie Curie action - Cofund program fellowship of 5 million Euros, for co-funding the researcher mobility program (Science. EU.com call) that the foundation deploys. 
- (English) Ikerbasque Website
- BERCs (Basque Excellence Research Centers)
- BCMaterials - Basque Center for Materials, Applications and Nanostructures
- BC3 - Basque Centre for Climate Change
- BCAM - Basque Center for Applied Mathematics
- BCBL - Basque Center on Cognition, Brain and Language
- DIPC - Donostia International Physics Centre (UPV/EHU)
- FBB - Biophysics Unit (UPV/EHU - CSIC)
- Material Physics Center, (UPV/EHU - CSIC)
- Nature - Basque Science Report, June 2008
- Sayago, D. "Funding Opportunities for foreign researchers", Feb 2009
- BioBasque Newsletter, May 2010