|Il-Kunsill Lokali tal-Iklin|
|Borders||Ħal Balzan, Birkirkara, Ħal Għargħur, Ħal Lija, In-Naxxar, San Ġwann|
|• Mayor||Anthony Dalli (PN)|
|• Total||1.7 km2 (0.7 sq mi)|
|Population (Mardh 2013)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (4,900/sq mi)|
|Demonym||Ikliniż (m), Ikliniża (f), Ikliniżi (pl)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||The Holy Family (Our Lady, St Joseph and the Child Jesus)|
|Day of festa||of St. Michael Sunday before September 29|
L-Iklin is a village in the centre of Malta, with a population of 3,188 as of March 2011. Clockwise northerly, L-Iklin is bordered by Ħal Għargħur, San Ġwann, Birkirkara, Ħal Balzan, Ħal Lija, and Naxxar. L-Iklin detached itself only recently from neighbouring village, Ħal Lija. A number of commercial outlets have more recently opened in the area. It also has its own Parish Church, celebrating its own First Holy Communion and Confirmation ceremonies at the L-Iklin chapel. Yearly activities include:
- Jum l-Iklin (Iklin Day);
- a fund-raising activity for the Parish Church.
There is a small chapel dedicated to St. Michael. St. Michael's feast is celebrated the Sunday before 29 September by the Lija fireworks team. This current chapel seems to have been built in 1615, on the site of a previous chapel. Mgr. Dusina reports of the Apostolic Visit in 1575, describing the chapel as being in a very poor state.
Archaeological sites at L-Iklin
Even though L-Iklin has only recently developed (the first house was built in 1958), it still has a few minor sites of archaeological importance:
- a megalithic site, perhaps the remains of a temple, was discovered in 1967 by the Teenagers Din l-Art Ħelwa group from St. Aloysius' College. Unfortunately, this site has never been seriously surveyed or studied.
- a second megalithic site was studied in 1986 during works on the new Birkirkara By-Pass, in the area known as Tar-Raddiena. Two large megaliths, and a few smaller ones are still visible (though often ignored) on this busy road. The ruins were dated, through pottery sherds found during excavation, to the Temple Period.
- the foundations of a Roman Villa were excavated in 1975 during construction works. Unfortunately, the site - which seems to have been quite an interesting minor site - was destroyed soon after excavation, in the name of progress.
Zones in L-Iklin
- Ta' Ġnien Fonsu (Alphons Garden's Village)
- Ta' Kieles
- Ta' Simblija
- Tat-Tabib (Doctor's Village)
L-Iklin Main Roads
- Triq Dun Karm (Dun Karm By-Pass)
- Triq Geronimo Abos (Geronimo Abos Street)
- Triq il-Wied (Valley Road)
- Triq in-Naxxar (Naxxar Road)
- Estimated Population by Locality 31 March 2013. Malta Government Gazette 19,094. Retrieved 11 June 2014.