Concert in Sydney, 2012
|Labels||Syco Music, Columbia|
Il Divo is a multinational operatic pop vocal group created by manager Simon Cowell. Formed in the United Kingdom, they are signed to Cowell's record label, Syco Music. Il Divo is a group of four male singers: French pop singer Sébastien Izambard, Spanish baritone Carlos Marín, American tenor David Miller, and Swiss tenor Urs Bühler. To date, they have sold more than 26 million albums worldwide.
The idea behind Il Divo's creation came to Cowell after hearing Andrea Bocelli perform "Con te partirò" while watching The Sopranos. In 2004, G4, a quartet of operatic male singers, also appeared in the UK on Cowell's TV show The X Factor. They finished runners-up, but were signed by Sony records - ironically, the lead singer of this group, Jonathan Ansell, had previously auditioned to be a member of Il Divo. Cowell was already aware of this new appreciation for lyrical voices and classical music, he had decided to form a multinational quartet (the members hail from Spain, Switzerland, France, and the United States, the name being in Italian) that recreated the style of The Three Tenors.
Cowell conducted a worldwide search for young singers who were willing to embark on the Il Divo project, which lasted two years, from 2001 until December 2003, when the fourth member of Il Divo, American tenor David Miller, was signed. The well-established formation of Il Divo comprises a renowned Spanish baritone, Carlos Marín; two classically trained tenors, Swiss Urs Bühler and American David Miller; and a French pop singer, Sébastien Izambard.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
On 25 April 2007, Il Divo performed on American Idol in one of the "Idol Gives Back" episodes, which raised money for children in the U.S. and Africa. For every vote cast during that show, Idol sponsors Coca-Cola, AT&T, and others donated money to Charity Projects Entertainment Fund (CPEF) and other groups such as Save the Children and America's Second Harvest.
Having just completed a six-month tour of America, Australia, and Europe, Il Divo then participated in all 20 concerts by Barbra Streisand in her North American tour as her special guests. "Streisand: The Tour" with Il Divo was ranked second for all tours for 2006, generating $92.5 million in gross sales. They also accompanied her in her Europe's concerts.
On 9 June 2006, Il Divo performed the 2006 FIFA World Cup official song, "The Time of Our Lives," with R&B singer Toni Braxton live, at half-time, during the opening match between Germany and Costa Rica and again a month later at the 9 July closing ceremony. The song is available exclusively on the Voices from the FIFA World Cup compilation album and on the European reissue of Braxton's album Libra but not on any Il Divo album. A shortened version of the song is featured on the second disc of Braxton's greatest hits album.
On 19 July 2014, Il Divo performed before a capacity crowd at Edinburgh Castle esplanade where a pop festival took place ahead of the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The group performed Amazing Grace at the event which also saw artists such as Jessie J, Smokey Robinson and Culture Club perform.
On 6 September 2012, it was announced that Il Divo would release a Greatest Hits album. The album, produced by Alberto Quintero, was released on 26 November 2012 and featured songs spanning Il Divo's succe3ssful 8-year career t5o date, as well as four new songs including My Heart Will Go On, I Will Always Love You, Can't Help Falling in Love and Alone.
The Il Divo released Mama – The Video, which included exclusive footage of the "Making of the Video," a live recording of "Mama – Live in New York," plus a photo gallery.
The second official DVD release of Il Divo, this contains the full live concert performed on 27 June 2006 at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles, California as part of their World Tour 2006.
The DVD was released in the UK on 1 December 2008, but the show was at the Pula Arena in Pula, Croatia. It features performances of: Amazing Grace; The Power of Love (La Fuerza Mayor); Hallelujah (Alleluia); The Winner Takes It All (Va Todo Al Ganador) and Adagio. With an in-depth 30-minute interview entitled 'The Promise – Il Divo in Conversation.'
While partaking in their largest worldwide tour, Il Divo recorded and released An Evening With Il Divo – Live in Barcelona, a live DVD with an accompanying 10-track CD with songs from the concert. It was recorded at Il Divo's largest capacity performance in Europe and took place at Palau Sant Jordi on 3 April 2009 with attendance of 20000 people. Added to the setlist are two previously unrecorded songs by the band, Bridge Over Troubled Water and The Impossible Dream. Extras include a "behind the scenes footage/making of the tour" interview with Il Divo.
Recorded at the Coliseum Theatre in London on 2 August 2011.
- Allegra Rossi, Romancing The World, Hardback 128 pages, 10 November 2005, Orion publishers (ISBN 978-0-7528-7519-4)
- Il Divo, Our Music, Our Journey, Our Words, Paperback 192 pages, 6 September 2007, Headline Book Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7553-1657-1)
- Caplan, David (23 October 2008). "FIRST LISTEN: Il Divo Sings 'Hallelujah'". People. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Il Divo Takes "IL DIVO - A MUSICAL AFFAIR: THE GREATEST SONGS OF BROADWAY LIVE" On The Road". MarketWatch. PR Newswire. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Mansey, Kate (6 May 2005). "X-TRA SPECIAL; Kate Mansey meets the boy band with the manners of gentlemen It's so strange to be finally famous". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Il Divo simplemente no puede ir informal".
- ""Il Divo" no es ópera". Infobae. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Il Divo: magia de la ópera pop". La Opinión. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- EBSCO Publishing Service Selection Page
- Parkström, Sara (9 December 2008). "Il Divo gästar idolfinalen". Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- [dead link]
- FIONA: DIVO - Mirror.co.uk
- Branco, Marlene Aponte (21 December 2011). "Polca, guarania y ópera en una cálida noche de festejo patrio". Diario ABC Color (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Coronel, Jorge (21 December 2011). "Il Divo celebró en concierto el Bicentenario del Paraguay". Diario ABC Color (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "IL DIVO GIFT PACK". http://www.ildivo.com/. 2005.
- "IL DIVO COLLEZIONE. Incluirá los CDs: Il divo, Ancora y The Christmas Collection, y el DVD Encore". lahiguera.net. 2006-10-23.
- "The Greatest Hits - Deluxe Limited Edition | The Official Il Divo Site". Ildivo.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Il Divo con Barbra Streisand para el nuevo álbum". digitalspy.co.uk.
- "Il Divo, actuará el próximo martes 4 de noviembre en el Palacio de los Deportes de Madrid". mujer.es.
- "Il Divo canta Broadway con Michael Ball, Barbra Streinsand y Kristin Chenoweth". europapress.es.
- playbill.com (ed.). "Il Divo - Un asunto Musical , Con Heather Headley".
- "Il Divo y Toni Braxton presentarán el himno oficial del Mundial en la inauguración". http://deportes.elpais.com/.
- "Katherine: es un placer trabajar con Il Divo, son estrellas clásicas".
- "Simon Cowell: 7 artistas que surgieron con el famoso productor". rpp.com.pe.
- "IL DIVO : NOUVEAU CLIP POUR L’ALBUM " A MUSICAL AFFAIR " MAINTENANT DISPONIBLE". peopleinside.fr.
- "Il Divo acerca Broadway a Madrid.El cuarteto vuelve esta noche a la capital para presentar su sexto disco, 'A musical affair'". elmundo.es.
- "We Will Rock You star Mazz Murray to join IL DIVO as guest star". londontheatre1.com.
- "IL DIVO ANNOUNCE ‘LIVE IN JAPAN’ DELUXE CD/DVD". http://www.ildivo.com/.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Il Divo.|