Il Divo is a band that combines opera and classical music with pop and other genres, the style known internationally as classical crossover. The group is composed of a vocal quartet of male singers: the Swiss Urs Bühler, the Spanish Carlos Marín, David Miller American and French Sébastien Izambard.
In 2005 Il Divo became the first classical crossover group in history to get first place in the Billboard 200 American. In 2006 were recorded in the Guinness World Records as the international project most commercially successful pop history, this year they entered the list of best-selling albums in the world, with 5,000,000 copies in only 2006.
In 2011 he was identified and thanked the efforts and talent of the group to grant the award for Artist of the Decade (Best Artist of The Decade) at the Classic Brits awards held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. In 2015 they received the Classic PPL award, the Silver Clef Award, organized by Nordoff Robbins.
To date, they have sold more than 26 million albums worldwide.
The idea behind Il Divo's creation came to Cowell after seeing a performance of the show delayed Three Tenors. In 2004, G4, a quartet of operatic male singers, also appeared in the UK on Cowell's TV show The X Factor. They finished runners-up, but were signed by Sony records - ironically, the lead singer of this group, Jonathan Ansell, had previously auditioned to be a member of Il Divo. Cowell was already aware of this new appreciation for lyrical voices and classical music, he had decided to form a multinational quartet (the members hail from Spain, Switzerland, France, and the United States, the name being in Italian) that recreated the style of The Three Tenors.
Cowell conducted a worldwide search for young singers who were willing to embark on the Il Divo project, which lasted two years, from 2001 until December 2003, when the fourth member of Il Divo, American tenor David Miller, was signed. The well-established formation of Il Divo comprises a renowned Spanish baritone, Carlos Marín; two classically trained tenors, Swiss Urs Bühler and American David Miller; and a French pop singer, Sébastien Izambard.
Il Divo sings in Spanish, English, Italian, French, Portuguese, Japanese and Latin. Il Divo was named the Most Multinational UK No.1 Album Group in the 2006 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Having just completed a six-month tour of America, Australia, and Europe, Il Divo then participated in all 20 concerts by Barbra Streisand in her North American tour as her special guests. "Streisand: The Tour" with Il Divo was ranked second for all tours for 2006, generating $92.5 million in gross sales. They also accompanied her in her Europe's concerts.
On 9 June 2006, Il Divo performed the 2006 FIFA World Cup official song, "The Time of Our Lives," with R&B singer Toni Braxton live, at half-time, during the opening match between Germany and Costa Rica and again a month later at the 9 July closing ceremony. The song is available exclusively on the Voices from the FIFA World Cup compilation album and on the European reissue of Braxton's album Libra but not on any Il Divo album. A shortened version of the song is featured on the second disc of Braxton's greatest hits album.
On 6 September 2012, it was announced that Il Divo would release a Greatest Hits album. The album, produced by Alberto Quintero, was released on 26 November 2012 and featured songs spanning Il Divo's succe3ssful 8-year career t5o date, as well as four new songs including My Heart Will Go On, I Will Always Love You, Can't Help Falling in Love and Alone.
On March 23, 2015, it was announced that Il Divo was a winner of O2 Silver Clef Silver Clef Award 2015 organized by Nordoff Robbins giving them the coveted Classic PPL. The gala award ceremony will take place on July 3 at the Grosvenor House Hotel, a five star in London, located on Park Lane.
Besides music, the members of Il Divo are also known for their flawless, refined and elegant image, but with some innovative, always wearing suits Giorgio Armani SPA seal;Giorgio Armani, Emporio Armani and Armani Collezioni. Rarely have also dress hand of the Italian firm Gucci.
On 25 April 2007, Il Divo performed on American Idol in one of the "Idol Gives Back" episodes, which raised money for children in the U.S. and Africa. For every vote cast during that show, Idol sponsors Coca-Cola, AT&T, and others donated money to Charity Projects Entertainment Fund (CPEF) and other groups such as Save the Children and America's Second Harvest.
Il Divo is related indirectly in terms of sponsorship and help with the French NGO SMTA Assistance Médicale Toit du Monde since 2005, which Sébastien is international official sponsor. And with Sanfilippo Children's Foundation in which Sébastien's global ambassador.
- 2004: Il Divo
- 2005: Ancora
- 2005: The Christmas Collection
- 2006: Siempre
- 2008: The Promise
- 2011: Wicked Game
- 2013: A Musical Affair
- Allegra Rossi, Romancing The World, Hardback 128 pages, 10 November 2005, Orion publishers (ISBN 978-0-7528-7519-4)
- Il Divo, Our Music, Our Journey, Our Words, Paperback 192 pages, 6 September 2007, Headline Book Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7553-1657-1)
- Caplan, David (23 October 2008). "FIRST LISTEN: Il Divo Sings 'Hallelujah'". People. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Il Divo en el Libro Guinness de los récords". 2006.
- "Discos más vendidos de 2006".
- "Il Divo nombrado -Artista de la Década-". classicfm.com. 2011.
- "Il Divo fueron homenajeados en los Classic Brits en el Royal Albert Hall". ildivo.com. 2011.
- "Il Divo crowned Silver Clef winners". 23 March 2015.
- "Il Divo Takes "IL DIVO - A MUSICAL AFFAIR: THE GREATEST SONGS OF BROADWAY LIVE" On The Road". MarketWatch. PR Newswire. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Mansey, Kate (6 May 2005). "X-TRA SPECIAL; Kate Mansey meets the boy band with the manners of gentlemen It's so strange to be finally famous". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Parkström, Sara (9 December 2008). "Il Divo gästar idolfinalen". Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- [dead link]
- FIONA: DIVO - Mirror.co.uk
- Branco, Marlene Aponte (21 December 2011). "Polca, guarania y ópera en una cálida noche de festejo patrio". Diario ABC Color (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Coronel, Jorge (21 December 2011). "Il Divo celebró en concierto el Bicentenario del Paraguay". Diario ABC Color (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "The Greatest Hits - Deluxe Limited Edition | The Official Il Divo Site". Ildivo.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Il Divo simplemente no puede ir informal".
- "Il Divo viste de Gucci".
- ""Il Divo" no es ópera". Infobae. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Il Divo: magia de la ópera pop". La Opinión. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Il Divo también canta en Japonés, se atreve a versionar la famosa canción japonesa "Furusato"".
- "Biografía de Il Divo".
- EBSCO Publishing Service Selection Page
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Il Divo.|