Il Divo (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Paolo Sorrentino|
|Produced by||Francesca Cima
|Written by||Paolo Sorrentino|
Piera Degli Esposti
|Music by||Teho Teardo|
|Editing by||Christiano Travagliolo|
|Distributed by||Lucky Red|
|Running time||110 minutes|
Il Divo (Italian pronunciation: [il ˈdiːvo], The Divine) is a 2008 Italian biographical drama film directed by Paolo Sorrentino. It is based on the figure of former Italian Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti. It competed at the Cannes Film Festival in 2008, where it was awarded the Jury Prize. The film also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling at the 82nd Academy Awards in 2010.
As the film opens, Giulio Andreotti gives an inner monologue observing how he has managed to survive his tumultuous political career while his various detractors have died. A montage shows the murders of various people connected to Andreotti, including journalist Mino Pecorelli, Carabinieri general Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa, bankers Michele Sindona and Roberto Calvi, and former prime minister Aldo Moro.
The story of Giulio Andreotti, a seven-time prime minister of Italy notorious for his alleged ties to the Mafia. The narration spans the period from Andreotti's seventh election in 1992, to his failed bid for the presidency of the Italian Republic, to the Tangentopoli bribe scandal, until his trial in 1995.
- Toni Servillo as Giulio Andreotti
- Anna Bonaiuto as Livia Danese, Giulio Andreotti's wife
- Piera Degli Esposti as Mrs. Enea, Giulio Andreotti' secretary
- Paolo Graziosi as Aldo Moro
- Giulio Bosetti as Eugenio Scalfari
- Flavio Bucci as Franco Evangelisti
- Carlo Buccirosso as Paolo Cirino Pomicino
- Giorgio Colangeli as Salvo Lima
- Alberto Cracco as Don Mario
- Lorenzo Gioielli as Mino Pecorelli
- Gianfelice Imparato as Vincenzo Scotti
- Massimo Popolizio as Vittorio Sbardella
- Aldo Ralli as Giuseppe Ciarrapico
- Giovanni Vettorazzo as Magistrate Scarpinato
- Cristina Serafini as Caterina Stagno
- Achille Brugnini as Fiorenzo Angelini
- Fanny Ardant as French Ambassador's wife
|Film score by Teho Teardo|
In 2008, the film score for Il Divo was composed by Teho Teardo and released on compact disc Universal in Italy. The soundtrack has not been released locally in North America or the United Kingdom and is only available by import.
- Fissa lo sguardo – Teho Teardo
- Sono ancora qui – Teho Teardo
- I miei vecchi elettori – Teho Teardo
- Toop Toop – Cassius
- Che cosa ricordare di lei? – Teho Teardo
- Un'altra battuta – Teho Teardo
- Il cappotto che mi ha regalato Saddam – Teho Teardo
- Notes for a New Religion – Teho Teardo
- Gammelpop – Barbara Morgenstern & Robert Lippok
- Non ho vizi minori – Teho Teardo
- Ho fatto un fioretto – Teho Teardo
- Possiedo un grande archivio – Teho Teardo
- Double Kiss – Teho Teardo
- Nux Vomica – The Veils
- Il prontuario dei farmaci – Teho Teardo
- La corrente – Teho Teardo
- 1. Allegro Flute concerto in D major(Il gardellino) – Antonio Vivaldi
- Pavane, Op.50 – Gabriel Fauré
- Da, da, da, ich lieb' Dich nicht, Du liebst mich nicht – Trio
- E la chiamano estate – Bruno Martino
The film features also:
- Pohjola's Daughter (op. 49)', Symphony n° 2 and Violin Concerto- Jean Sibelius
- Danse macabre (op. 40) – Camille Saint-Saëns
- I migliori anni della nostra vita – Renato Zero
- Conceived – Beth Orton
Il Divo received mostly positive reviews from critics. As of 14 December 2009, the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported 44 positive reviews and 4 negative, giving the film a 92% critical approval rating.
In Peter Brunette's review for The Hollywood Reporter, he praises the movie, pointing out the capacity of entertaining, the brilliant acting and the quality of the soundtrack. He notes that the movie will probably not have a great success outside Italy. The same elements emerge from the review of Jay Weissberg from Variety, who define the movie a masterpiece that will become a comparison stone for the years to come.
Andreotti himself walked out of the movie and dismissed the film, stating that it was "too much" and that he would be, in the end, judged "on his record".
- Sannio FilmFest
- Premio "Capitello d'Oro" Migliore Attore (Carlo Buccirosso)
- Premio "Sonora", una Musica per il Cinema
- Premio Migliore Colonna Sonora (Teho Teardo)
- Festival du Cinéma Italien d'Ajaccio
- Prix Meilleur Acteur (Toni Servillo)
- Martini Premiere Award
- Menzione Speciale per la Locandina
- Premio "The Most Innovative Movie"
- Premio Internazionale Cinearti "La Chioma di Berenice"
- Premio Migliore Arredamento (Alessandra Mura)
- European Film Awards
- Best European Actor (Toni Servillo)
- Sevilla Festival de Cine:
- Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival
- Best directors of photography (Luca Bigazzi)
- Jameson Dublin International Film Festival
- Volta Award (Paolo Sorrentino)
- Povoledo, Elisabetta (9 July 2008). "Cannes Success Gives Italian Cinema a Boost". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "2008 Overseas Total Yearly Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. 4 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- "Amazon.com: Il Divo: Teho Teardo, Finn Andrews, Franco / Zanin, Laura / Martino, Bruno Califano, Cassius, Gabriel Faure, Guido Krawinkel, Barbara Morgenstern, Teho Teardo, Antonio Vivaldi, Charles Dutoit, Doug Pearce, Lee Leibowitz, Patrick Gallois, Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, CJ McCloud, Remy Dault, Susan Rosenthal, Alexis Fletcher, Bruna Fantini: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "Il Divo Movie Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. IGN Entertainment. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- Peter Brunette (23 May 2008). "Il Divo" (Web). The Hollywood Reporter. hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2008-10-12.[dead link]
- Jay Weissberg (23 May 2008). "Il Divo" (Web). Variety. variety.com. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- Andreotti: why I walked out of my own biopic, The Times, 17 March 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Il divo (film).|
- Official website (English)
- Official website (English) (Italian)
- Il Divo at the Internet Movie Database
- Il Divo at Rotten Tomatoes
- Il Divo at Metacritic
- Il Divo at allmovie
- Il Divo at Box Office Mojo
Persepolis tied with Silent Light
|Jury Prize, Cannes
Thirst tied with Fish Tank