Front page, 15 September 2009
|Owner(s)||Società Europea di Edizioni|
|Headquarters||Via Gaetano Negri 4, Milan, Italy|
History and profile
The newspaper was planned in 1972 by the journalist Indro Montanelli, together with the colleagues Enzo Bettiza, Ferenc Fejtő, Raymond Aron and others, after some disagreements with the new pro-left editorial line adopted by the newspaper Corriere della Sera, where Montanelli had been one of the most important contributors.
The newspaper was launched on 25 June 1974 as Il Giornale Nuovo, with Indro Montanelli as editor and member of the publishing company board of directors and an editorial office composed of 59 journalists.
In 1977 Montanelli, in financial difficulty, accepted an offer by Silvio Berlusconi, who thus became the publisher. Indro Montanelli edited and published il Giornale from its start, until Berlusconi entered politics in December 1993. At that time he left to found the short-lived daily newspaper La Voce.
In May 2005 Il Giornale started its online version.
In 2008 the paper had a circulation of 192,667 copies.
Il Giornale della Libertà
Il Giornale della Libertà was a free weekly political, headed by Michela Vittoria Brambilla, and attached with Il Giornale, but was strictly criticized by the editorial staff and later went on strike (for the second time after the leaving of Indro Montanelli).
The last issue is still available for downloading.
- Indro Montanelli (1974–1994)
- Vittorio Feltri (1994–1997)
- Mario Cervi (1997–2001)
- Maurizio Belpietro (2001–2007)
- Mario Giordano (2007–2009)
- Vittorio Feltri (2009–2010)
- Alessandro Sallusti (2010–present)
- Lapo Filistrucchi (February 2006). "The Impact of Internet on the Market for Daily Newspapers in Italy". EUI Working Paper. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Eugénie Saitta (April 2006). "The Transformations of Traditional Mass Media Involvement in the Political and Electoral Process" (Conference Paper). Nicosia, Cyprus: ECPR. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Piero Benetazzo (Winter 1994). "Berlusconi and the Battle for the Italian Media". Nieman Reports 48 (4). Retrieved 24 November 2014. – via Questia (subscription required)
- Data for average Newspaper circulation (Diffusione media (Italia + Estero)) from the Accertamenti Diffusione Stampa (Ads) survey on 2008 in Italy 
- "Inserto dei "Circoli della Libertà" e al "Giornale" scatta lo sciopero". la Repubblica (in Italian). 31 May 2007. Retrieved 15 January 2009.
- Il Giornale 16 May 2008
- il Giornale Official Website (Italian)