|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
L-R standing: Piero Barone, Ignazio Boschetto and Gianluca Ginoble performing in Bogotá
Il Volo (English: The Flight) is an Italian operatic pop trio, consisting of singers: tenors Piero Barone and Ignazio Boschetto, and baritone Gianluca Ginoble.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2012)|
Gianluca Ginoble di vittorio was born on February 11, 1995, in Roseto degli Abruzzi, in the Abruzzo region of central Italy. He grew up and continues to live in the nearby hilltop town of Montepagano.
Ti Lascio Una Canzone (2009–10)
The three pop-opera singers started their career in 2009, when they met on the second edition of the Italian RAI TV music competition show Ti lascio una canzone, held at the Ariston Theater in Sanremo.
During the competition, the three singers were chosen to perform, as a trio, the Neapolitan classic "’O sole mio". After the competition, they continued to perform together under the names "Tre Tenori", "The Tryo", "Il Trio", and finally in the fall of 2010... "Il Volo" (which translates to "the flight" in Italian).
In 2010 the trio participated in the charity single "We Are the World 25 for Haiti", a remake of the 1985 hit song "We Are the World". In February 2010 they performed the songs "Granada" and "Un Amore Così Grande" during the 60th Sanremo Music Festival. Also at that festival the trio performed for Queen Rania of Jordan (Regina Rania di Giordania).
Il Volo (2010–present)
Their first self-titled album was recorded in 2010 in the Abbey Road Studios in London and produced by Tony Renis and Humberto Gatica. It was released in Italy on November 30, 2010, and peaked at number 6 on the Italian Albums Chart, receiving the Gold certification by the Federation of the Italian Music Industry.
The international edition of the album was released on April 12, 2011, and was promoted in the United States with a performance during the final three results show of American Idol's tenth season. The group sang "’O sole mio", which was released as a single in the United States in early 2011. The album debuted at number 10 on the Billboard 200 and at number 1 on the Classical Albums, selling 23,000 copies in its first week. The album is also entered in the Top 10 in other countries, such as Belgium, France, and the Netherlands and topped in Austria.
A Spanish version of the album was released and peaked at number 6 in Mexico, at number 3 on the Billboard Classical Albums chart, at number 4 on the Top Latin Albums chart, and at number 1 on the Latin Pop Albums chart. This version was certified Gold in Mexico by AMPROFON for the sale of 30,000 copies and won an RIAA Latin Gold Award for the sale of 50,000 copies in US.
The trio performed for the TV show The Talk in February 2011 and on October 13, 2011.
On May 19, 2011, the trio performed "'O Sole Mio" on American Idol. On July 31, 2011, the trio performed "’O sole mio" and "This Time" for the President's Star Charity show in Singapore to help raise funds for the handicapped. On September 4, 2011, the trio performed "’O sole mio" and "Smile" for the MDA Labor Day Telethon. On September 11, 2011, the trio made a cameo appearance on the series finale of Entourage.
Il Volo was nominated for two Latin Grammy Awards in Best Pop Album by a Duo or Group with Vocal for Il Volo (Edicion en espanol) and in Best New Artist.
On October 27, 2011, Il Volo performed live at the Detroit Opera House to tape their first concert DVD titled "Il Volo - Takes Flight - Live from the Detroit Opera House". This concert premiered on December 7, 2011, in Detroit (on PBS Channel WTVS) and 1,000 cities across Canada (that receive Detroit's PBS on their cable system).
On November 21, 2011, Il Volo released, only in digital format, their first EP called Christmas Favorites, which contains a duet with Pia Toscano. On the same date, their debut album was re-released in a special edition that also includes the tracks from Christmas Favorites. On December 22, 2011, Il Volo was the closing guest for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, singing "The Christmas Song".
On February 28, 2012, Il Volo's new CD and DVD, Il Volo - Takes Flight - Live from the Detroit Opera House, was released. This concert was shown on PBS stations across the US and Canada followed by a tour of the countries from August through October.
In October and early November 2012 Il Volo performed in concert with Barbra Streisand. They sang with her the song "Smile", and "Make My Garden Grow", and performed singles "O Sole Mio" and "Un Amore Cosi Grande".
On November 19, 2012 Il Volo released their second album, We Are Love (Billboard 200 number 100)
On December 11, 2012 Il Volo performed at the 2012 Nobel Prize Concert in Oslo Norway, with King Harald V in attendance.
|2012||We Are Love
|2013||Más Que Amor
|Buon Natale: The Christmas Album
- PBS interview with Il Volo
- "Roseto: Gianluca Ginoble vince la seconda edizione di "Ti lascio una canzone"". www.lacittaquotidiano.it. 3 May 2011. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Ti lascio una canzone 2009 - 'O sole mio". RAI. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Serata tra Moulin Rouge, gaffe e regine all'Ariston" (in Italian). Il Corriere della Sera. February 17, 2010. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Il Volo nei negozi" (in Italian). MTV. November 30, 2011. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Il Volo - Il Volo (some Worldwide Charts)". hitparade.ch. Retrieved July 7, 2011.
- "Certificazioni ARTISTI - Dalla settimana 1 del 2009 alla settimana 19 del 2011" (PDF) (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "JUST RELEASED - ITALIAN TEENS IL VOLO RELEASE DEBUT ALBUM IN THE UNITED STATES ON GEFFEN RECORDS APRIL 12th". www.interscope.net. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- Sonya Sorich (May 19, 2011). "American Idol 2011 results May 19: Haley Reinhart eliminated, Il Volo and Nicole Scherzinger sing". www.ledger-equirer.com.
- Kerry Mason (May 18, 2011). "Il Volo Transitions from Italian TV to 'American Idol'". Billboard. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- Keith Caulfield (May 25, 2011). "Seether Scores Top Billboard 200 Debut, Adele Still No. 1". Billboard. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Il Volo - Classical Albums". Billboard. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Classical Albums (week of July 23, 2011)". Billboard. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Top Latin Albums (week of August 13, 2011)". Billboard. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- "Latin Pop Albums (week of September 24, 2011)". Billboard. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Top 100 México". AMPROFON. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- "United States albums certifications". RIAA. Retrieved October 16, 2011.