June 29, 1969
|Years active||1983–1991, 2013|
Mitchell-Smith's film career began in 1983 at age 14 when he played a younger version of the title character in Sidney Lumet's Daniel. After a starring role in the 1984 film The Wild Life, he was cast as Wyatt Donnelly in the 1985 teen classic Weird Science by writer/director John Hughes. The film focuses on two nerdy teenage boys who create a woman of their own (played by Kelly LeBrock) as they are unable to find girlfriends.
Mitchell-Smith starred in several other films and TV series, most notably The Chocolate War and Superboy; none of these brought him the same degree of recognition. He decided to leave acting entirely in 1991, his final role being a guest appearance on Silk Stalkings. Recently, Mitchell-Smith has started to do some voice over work, recording for two episodes ("Moon Warriors" and "Heads Will Roll") of Fox ADHD's "Axe Cop" in 2013.
Mitchell-Smith received his BA in Medieval Studies from UC Davis and his MA in Medieval Studies from Fordham University. He received a doctoral degree from Texas A&M University in 2005, and he is currently an associate professor in the English department at California State University, Long Beach. Mitchell-Smith publishes on chivalry in the later Middle Ages, and he also publishes on cinematic, television, and video game versions of medieval culture.
- How to Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days (1983)
- Daniel (1983)
- The Wild Life (1984)
- Weird Science (1985)
- Superboy (1988 TV series)
- The Chocolate War (1988)
- Journey to the Center of the Earth (1989)
- Identity Crisis (1989)
- Silk Stalkings (1991 TV series, one episode)
- Axe Cop (2012 TV series, two episodes)
- Hepola, Sarah (November 8, 2002). "A Hollywood Twist: What happens when a teen heartthrob leaves acting? Real life". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Minow, Nell (2004-07-31). The Movie Mom's Guide To Family Movies. iUniverse. pp. 209–. ISBN 9780595320950. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- English Department Faculty, California State University Long Beach