|Genres||Black metal, Dark ambient|
|Labels||Norse League Productions
|Associated acts||Thou Shalt Suffer, Emperor, Sort Vokter|
Ildjarn was a black metal project from Norway that formed in 1991. Ildjarn recorded music until 1997 but did not officially end until 2005. The man behind Ildjarn was Vidar Vaaer, although some releases were collaborations with a musician known as Nidhogg. Ildjarn's music was a very simple and lo-fi brand of black metal, with most songs composed of basic drum patterns, a couple of riffs, and unintelligible vocals. The band's style has been compared to hardcore punk in its simplistic ferocity and short song lengths. Two Ildjarn albums were made entirely on a synthesizer.
Of all the released music, the only Ildjarn song to have its lyrics published was "Eksistensens Jeger", from the self-titled Ildjarn-Nidhogg compilation.
In 2006, the band website stated that no more news would be printed, leading to the conclusion that Ildjarn had ended. The title of Ildjarn's 2005 release, Ildjarn is Dead, further supports this conclusion. Part of Vidar Vaaer's motivation for ending Ildjarn was due to his 4-track recorder breaking (the same 4-track recorder used during Emperor's early days as Thou Shalt Suffer).
The related band Sort Vokter consisted of Ildjarn, Nidhogg and two other members known as Tvigygre and Heiinghund. They released only one album called Folkloric Necro Metal.
- 1992 – Seven Harmonies of Unknown Truths – demo
- 1993 – Ildjarn – demo
- 1993 – Norse – EP (black metal release with Nidhogg)
- 1994 – Minnesjord – demo
- 1995 – Ildjarn – album
- 1996 – Forest Poetry – album
- 1996 – Landscapes – album
- 1996 – Strength and Anger – album
- 1996 – Svartfråd – EP (black metal release with Nidhogg)
- 2002 – Hardangervidda – album (ambient release with Nidhogg)
- 2002 – Hardangervidda Part 2 – EP (ambient release with Nidhogg)
- 2004 – Nocturnal Visions – EP
- 2013 – Those Once Might Fallen – Split with Hate Forest
- 1995 – Det Frysende Nordariket – contains Ildjarn Demo, Norse, Minnesjord
- 2002 – 1992-1995 – contains a collection of songs from 1992–1995
- 2003 – Ildjarn-Nidhogg – contains the two black metal releases with Nidhogg: Norse and Svartfråd
- 2005 – Ildjarn 93 – contains previously unreleased songs from 1993
- 2005 – Ildjarn is Dead – contains all demos and the outtakes from those demos
- Ildjarn (Vidar Vaaer) – vocals, electric guitar, bass guitar, drums, synthesizer
- Nidhogg – vocals, keyboard, drums (occasional member)
- Samoth – vocals (occasional member)
- Ihsahn – vocals (occasional member)
|This article about a Norwegian band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|