Illawarra bus routes
|Owner||Ministry of Transport|
Dion's Bus Service
Greens Northern Coaches
The narrow coastal strip on which the Illawarra's suburbs are built makes the main South Coast railway line the key part of the region's public transport. A limited bus network was operated for a time by the Government of New South Wales bus company, the Urban Transit Authority. Today, bus services are operated by Premier Illawarra, Dion's Bus Service, Greens Northern Coaches and Kiama Coachlines.
The Illawarra is considered as one outer metropolitan bus region for the purposes of Ministry of Transport contracting arrangements.
Comprehensive public transport information is provided by Illawarra TransInfo, run by the region's local governments, and the state government's Transport InfoLine.
Bus-only lanes are very rarely seen or used in Wollongong and the Illawarra.
Premier Illawarra is a merged entity combining major local bus companies with an interstate coach operator. Ruttys Bus Service, John J Hill Bus Service and Nowra Coaches became Premier Illawarra in June 2001.
Premier operates the following services:
- 3: Wollongong to Towradgi, Bellambi Point, Corrimal and Balgownie (Loop Service).
- 6: Wollongong to Mount Pleasant and University.
- 7: Wollongong to Bellambi, Corrimal, Balgownie and Cabbage Tree Lane.
- 8: Wollongong via Balgownie, Corrimal, Bellambi and Towradgi. (Loop Service)
- 10: Wollongong to Gwynneville, and Keiraville.
- 11: Wollongong to Coniston, Figtree, Keiraville and University.
- 24: Wollongong to WestfieldFigtree via Mangerton.
- 39: Wollongong to Westfield Figtree via Mount Keira and Figtree Heights. (Anti-clockwise loop)
- 31: Wollongong to West Dapto via Princes Highway and Dapto.
- 33: Wollongong to West Dapto, Mount Brown, Compton Street, Koonawarra and Kanahooka.
- 43: Port Kembla to Dapto via Kanahooka and Berkeley.
Unanderra, Berkeley, Warrawong and Port Kembla
- 34: Wollongong to Warrawong via Berkeley.
- 35: Wollongong to Unanderra via West Unanderra.
- 36: Wollongong to Kembla Heights via Unanderra.
- 65: North Beach to Port Kembla via Warrawong, Lake Heights and Cringala.
Lake Illawarra Premier operates two LakeLink services.
- 37: Wollongong Loop via University, Dapto, Shellharbour and Warrawong.
- 57: Wollongong Loop via Warrawong, Shellharbour, Dapto and Unanderra.
Shellharbour, Albion Park, Kiama
- 71: Shellharbour City to Kiama via Minnamura and Bombo
- 72: Stockland Shellharbour loop via Barrack Heights and Warilla
- 76: Shellharbour Village to Albion Park via Albion Park Rail.
- 77: Stockland Shellharbour to Albion Park via Oak Flats
- 51: Wollongong to Oak Flats Rail via Warrawong, Mount Warrigal, Shellharbour Square and Oak Flats.
- 53: Wollongong to Shellharbour Square via Warrawong, Primbee, Warilla, Shell Cove and Flinders.
Dion's Bus Service
Dion's Bus Service operates services in the northern and central suburbs of Wollongong and is the oldest currently operating bus line in the Illawarra, which has been operating since 1923. The company also provides six commuter routes:
- 1: Fairy Meadow, Corrimal, Woonona, Bulli, Thirroul and Austinmer.
- 1U: Austinmer to University via Princes Highway
- N1: Hassle Free Bus Service Between Wollongong and Thirroul via Princes Highway.
- 4: Fairy Meadow, Corrimal, Woonona, East Woonona and Bulli.
- 4U: Bulli to University via Princes Highway, East Woonona and Corrimal.
- 9: UOW NG Shuttle - Free Loop Service between North Wollongong Station to Wollongong University via Kids Uni, URAC, Creative Arts Building and Hope Theatre
A number of community and government stakeholders fund Dion's "Wollongong Summer Bus", a late night bus service run in central Wollongong during the summer months. The Summer Bus is a drink-drive and drink-walk prevention strategy supported by licensed venues as well as local government, health, police and transport authorities.
Greens Northern Coaches
Greens Northern Coaches operates services in the northern suburbs of Wollongong as well as the Royal National Park. It provides two commuter routes:
- 2: Stanwell Park - Coledale - Thirroul - Corrimal and Wollongong.
- 15: Helensburgh Railway Station - Helensburgh - Stanwell Tops - Stanwell Park - Coalcliff
Kiama Coach Lines
Kiama Coachlines is a family-run company serving the Municipality of Kiama. The company provides school bus services.
- Kiama Town Service: weekday service connecting Jamberoo, Gerringong, Gerroa and Kiama
- 887: Campbelltown to Wollongong: Campbelltown, Macarthur Square, Rosemeadow, Appin, Bulli Pass, Bulli (set down only), Woonona (set down only) etc. via Princes Highway to Wollongong Station.
Opposite direction: Wollongong - Appin - Rosemeadow - Macarthur Square - Campbelltown (first set down on top of Bulli Pass) Some services goes via University of Wollongong
The state government has provided a free "Gong shuttle" service since March 2009. It operates in a loop in both directions at regular intervals, the 'a' route travels anti-clockwise, the 'c' route travels clockwise.
- 55a: University of Wollongong (UOW) main campus, North Wollongong Railway Station (weekends only), Wollongong Hospital, CBD, Marine Drive(North Wollongong), UoW Innovation Campus, Fairy Meadow, return to UOW main campus.
- 55c: University of Wollongong (UOW) main campus, Fairy Meadow, UOW Innovation Campus, Marine Drive(North Wollongong), CBD, Wollongong Hospital, North Wollongong Railway Station (weekends only), return to UOW main campus.
- "About Dion's bus services". Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- Transport InfoLine - timetable and fare information
- Illawarra TransInfo - local route maps
- Dion's Bus Service - website
- Greens Northern Coaches - website
- Kiama Coachlines - website
- Premier Illawarra - website
- Free Shuttle Buses