|Single by Shakira featuring Carlos Santana|
|from the album Oral Fixation Vol. 2|
|Released||14 November 2006 (North America)
11 December 2006 (U.K.)
|Format||CD single, digital download, 12" maxi single|
"Illegal" is the third and final single released from Shakira's second English language studio album, Oral Fixation Vol. 2 (2005). It features celebrated Mexican guitarist Carlos Santana. The song was released right after the massive worldwide success of "Hips Don't Lie". The radio release for "Illegal" in the United States and Canada was on November 14, 2006. The music video for the song premiered on November 16, 2006 on MTV's Total Request Live and debuted the next day at #9. It became a hit in countries like Latvia, and Ukraine.
"Illegal" features a musical collaboration between Shakira and Carlos Santana. The song has been well received by critics and has been highlighted as an example of Shakira's ever-developing strength as an English-language songwriter. Allmusic reviewer Stephen Thomas Erlewine has said that she takes her music into unexpected directions.
Because of the massive hit "Hips Don't Lie" consistently remaining on the charts in the US and Australia, the song was canceled two weeks after the release in those countries. In November 2006, "Illegal" debuted on the Italian Singles Chart at number nine and then rose to number four. The song spent fourteen consecutive weeks in the chart's top twenty.
In Portuguese chart it was #1 and Top 10 for several weeks  Inside the Romanian Top 100, "Illegal" was Shakira's fourth single to reach the number-one position. It stuck to the top spot for five non-consecutive weeks. In the year-end charts, the song peaked at number thirty-five.
The music video for "Illegal" was shot in Mexico City on October 17, 2006, during a short break in the schedule of Oral Fixation Tour, between concerts in Mexico and Guatemala. The filming took a full day, and some American and Mexican fans were invited over as extras. Jaume de Laiguana and Shakira were the co-directors of the video.
The video features Shakira as the girlfriend of a boxer. Throughout most of the video, Shakira is shown in the empty boxing venue where her former boyfriend boxes. Through flashback, she remembers the good times in their relationship, with them shown in the ring while no one is there, affectionately messing around, among other things. At the end of the video, it is shown why they are no longer together. Shakira comes to see her boyfriend boxing in the championship match. He wins, and not realizing Shakira is there, another girl steps in the ring, and he kisses her, revealing to Shakira he is cheating on her. Her boyfriend, to his shock, finally sees that Shakira is watching him kiss this other girl. Shakira looks back at him, clearly hurt, before turning away and leaving.
There are existing 2 remix music videos: the Johnny Vicious Warehouse Mix and the Johnny Vicious Roxy Mix
The single was set for a worldwide release, and the single had already been playing on American and Australian stations and music video programs, such as SAFM and Rage; it even peaked at #9 on the American TRL Countdown. However, as "Hips Don't Lie" still prevailed on the charts in these non-European countries, the single was cancelled.
Track listing and formats
- "Illegal" [Album Version] (featuring Carlos Santana) – 03:54
- "Illegal" [Ali Dee Remix] (featuring Carlos Santana) – 03:49
- "Obtener Un Sí" [Album Version] – 03:20
- "Illegal" [Album Version] (featuring Carlos Santana)
- "Illegal" [Alee Dee Remix] (featuring Carlos Santana)
- "La Tortura" [Album Version]
- "La Tortura" [CD-Rom Video]
Promotional CD (NOT FOR SALE)
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Warehouse Mix] 10:00
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Warehouse Radio Mix] 3:45
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Roxy Mix] 8:00
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Roxy Radio Mix] 4:14
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Ballroom Mix] 7:28
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Ballroom Dub] 5:37
- "Illegal" [Johnny Vicious Roxy Dub] 6:10
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||9|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||22|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||16|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||4|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||21|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||11|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||6|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||14|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||7|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||3|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||10|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||34|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
End of year charts
|2007||German Singles Chart||76|
|Romanian Top 100||35|
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Oral Fixation, Vol. 2". allmusic.
- "Illegal on the Italian Singles Chart". italiancharts.com. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- Romanian 2007 Year-End Chart
- "Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200710 into search.
- "Shakira – Illegal Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten.
- "Shakira Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Shakira.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 50, 2006". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal". Top Digital Download.
- "Shakira feat. Carlos Santana: Illegal" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- Romania will host Shakira
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200651 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal". Singles Top 60.
- "Shakira feat. Carlos Santana – Illegal – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Shakira: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Shakira Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Shakira.