Illinois Prairie Community Foundation
The Community Foundation helps connect donors with those causes they wish to benefit. It facilitates charitable giving for individuals and businesses, helps organizations with their endowment funds, serves as fiscal agent for charitable community projects, and is a catalyst for innovative charitable solutions to meet area needs. A donor advised fund at the Community Foundation is an economical and simplified version of a private foundation.
The foundation celebrated its 10-year anniversary in 2009.
Types of Funds Supported
Donor Advised Funds: This type of fund, either endowment or pass-through, allows the funding donor to remain actively involved with grantmaking.
Field of Interest Endowment Funds: A gift to be used to address a specific need or area of concern.
Endowment: A simple way for donors to perpetuate their gifts to the specific charitable organization(s) of their choice, often ones with which they have been involved during their lifetimes.
Pass-Through Project or Agency Funds: The Community Foundation serves as the financial conduit for special community projects.
Board of directors
President – Richard Stroyan
Vice President – Steve Timmerman
Secretary – Susan Hoblit
Treasurer – Diane Fishering
Directors – Martha Ceja, Harold Frobish, Paul Harmon, Darrell Hartweg, Susan Hoblit, John Hutchinson, Tim O. Ives, Gene Jontry, Danny Liefel, Karla Lohnes, Gretchen Monti, Joni Painter, Jennifer Sedbrook, Bruce Unterman
In 1996, Carol Reitan, Alan Sender and Drake Zimmerman began building their dream of a community foundation for McLean County. Considerable research on existing community foundations, talks with many community leaders, and persistence in working through all of the legal requirements to establish a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization came to fruition two years later. Mayors Judy Markowitz of Bloomington and Kent Karraker of Normal, and McLean County Board Chairperson Gary Riss agreed to serve as the first incorporating board. The Community Foundation of McLean County was officially established on November 6, 1998. Gifts of $296,900 were placed in the Peoria Area Community Foundation of Central Illinois before the end of 1998 in an account held on behalf of CFMC. These were Donor Advised Funds, established and donated before CFMC was in a position to receive gifts.
By June, 2003, the Community Foundation of McLean County was serving donors and making grants in Livingston and DeWitt Counties and surrounding areas. Permanent 501(c)(3) status had been achieved. Assets had grown to almost $600,000. The Board of Directors decided a name change was in order. Before action could be taken, Logan County was added to the list of locations being served and assets had grown to $800,000. In April, 2004, we officially became Illinois Prairie Community Foundation, Inc. Since 2004, the IPCF has grown dramatically. In fiscal 2007 (July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007) the Foundation and its donors distributed $484,841 in grants. Total assets as of December 31, 2007 were $5,981,822.
- Agencies receive Illinois Prairie Community Foundation grants. Pantagraph.com (June 17, 2009). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Community Foundations: Illinois. Tgci.com. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Welcome to. Parklandsfoundation.org. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Pantagraph, "Business Builders Wins Marketing Aid," March 19, 2009
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Daily Digest 02/05/09. Pantagraph.com (February 4, 2009). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- AP, "Health Digest," May 19, 2009
- Pantagraph, "Foundation helps tulips bloom and feed kids, too," June 7, 2009
- Monument unveiled in Fell's honor. Pantagraph.com (October 5, 2008). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Pantagraph, "Nursing shortage at critical time," April 6, 2008
- Volunteers give sweat and blood at ShareFest. Pantagraph.com (September 8, 2007). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Good Fellow Fund drive under way. Pantagraph.com (November 21, 2007). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Community group names grant winners. Pantagraph.com (January 2, 2007). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Pantagraph, "PBS Documentary Features 5 from Here," May 5, 2006
- University of Illinois Extension serving Livingston, McLean and Woodford Counties. Web.extension.illinois.edu. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Illinois Symphony Orchestra: Press Room Press Release 070209. Ilsymphony.org. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Nursing Nightingale | Features/Profile | SO Magazine. Springfieldsown.com (December 4, 2009). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Community Calendar – Community – WGLT: News, Blues and all that Jazz. WGLT. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Member Directory. Cof.org. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Daily Digest 11/12/09. Pantagraph.com (November 11, 2009). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- New fund donates to groups left short. Pantagraph.com (November 14, 2006). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Pantagraph, "Names and Faces," July 1, 2009
- [dead link]
- "Names & Faces:The Pantagraph Bloomington, IL". HighBeam Research. July 12, 2008. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- [dead link]
- CFMC Board of Directors. Ilprairiecf.org. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- Pantagraph, "Names & Faces," July 12, 2008
- Drake Zimmerman. Drakez.dzopus.org (January 18, 2011). Retrieved on October 21, 2011.
- History of the Community Foundation of McLean County. Ilprairiecf.org. Retrieved on October 21, 2011.