Illinois Route 140
|Maintained by IDOT|
|Length:||52.05 mi (83.77 km)|
|Existed:||1935 – present|
|West end:||IL 143 in Alton|
|I-55 in Hamel|
|East end:||US 40 near Mulberry Grove|
Illinois Route 140 is an east–west highway with its western terminus at Illinois Route 143 in Alton and its eastern terminus at U.S. Route 40 near Mulberry Grove. It also overlaps Illinois Route 111 in Alton and Illinois Route 127 in Greenville. This is a distance of 52.05 miles (83.77 km).
Although this route may appear to be a derivative of US 40, it does not follow any of the old US 40 alignment except for a portion of the Historic National Road in Fayette County from US 40 to Vandalia. IDOT has since truncated the eastern end of Route 140 to the town of Mulberry Grove with the intersection of US 40.
In 2007, IDOT decommissioned the portion of Route 140 from near the Bond and Fayette County line at Mulberry Grove, east to Vandalia. While that section of highway is no longer marked for Route 140, the state still maintains its Historic National Road signage.
Route 140 begins at a junction with Route 143 in Alton. The route heads northeast through Alton to a junction with Illinois Route 3 and Illinois Route 111. From this junction, Route 140 heads east concurrently with Route 111. The highways run along the northern border of East Alton before entering Bethalto, where they meet Illinois Route 255. Shortly past the junction, Route 111 turns south, while Route 140 continues east, passing to the north of St. Louis Regional Airport. The highways runs through a rural area of Madison County, where it passes through the community of Meadow Brook and intersects Illinois Route 159. The road then enters the village of Hamel, where it intersects Illinois Route 157 and Interstate 55. Past Hamel, the route meets Illinois Route 4 before passing through Alhambra. The highway then intersects Illinois Route 160 before entering Bond County.
In Bond County, the route passes through farmland and runs south of Old Ripley. Past Old Ripley, the highway meets Illinois Route 127; the two highways overlap until Route 127 turns south at the western edge of Greenville. Route 140 continues east through northern Greenville, passing Greenville Regional Hospital. After leaving Greenville, the route heads east until turning north at an intersection north of Smithboro. The highway then heads east-northeast toward Mulberry Grove, parallel to and north of U.S. Route 40. In Mulberry Grove, the route enters along Wall Street before turning north along Maple Street. The highway then turns east along Main Street before leaving the village and entering Fayette County. The highway terminates east of Mulberry Grove at a junction with US 40.
|Madison||Alton||0.0||0.0||IL 143||Western terminus of IL 140|
|3.0||4.8||IL 3 / IL 111||West end of IL 111 concurrency|
|6.9||11.1||IL 111||East end of IL 111 concurrency|
|Hamel||18.6||29.9||IL 157||Northern terminus of IL 157|
|28.0||45.1||IL 160||Northern terminus of IL 160|
|Bond||40.7||65.5||IL 127||West end of IL 127 concurrency|
|Greenville||41.7||67.1||IL 127||East end of IL 127 concurrency|
|Fayette||51.9||83.5||US 40||Eastern terminus of IL 140|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Carlson, Rich. Illinois Highways Page: Routes 121 thru 140. Last updated April 15, 2005. Retrieved May 30, 2006.
- Illinois Technology Transfer Center (2011). "T2 GIS Data". Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- Illinois Department of Transportation (2009) (PDF). General Highway Map: Madison County, Illinois (Map). http://www.dot.state.il.us/maps/county/madison.pdf.
- Google, Inc. "Overview map of Illinois Route 140". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Landmarks+Boulevard&daddr=College+Ave+to:E+McArthur+Dr+to:E+McArthur+Dr+to:IL-140+E%2FE+Bethalto+Dr+to:W+State+St+to:State+St+to:IL-140+E+to:IL-140+E+to:IL-140+E+to:IL-127+S%2FIL-140+E+to:38.9224314,-89.2853571+to:38.9276138,-89.2593312+to:US-40+E&hl=en&ll=38.840777,-89.773407&spn=0.606483,1.352692&sll=38.925363,-89.274902&sspn=0.03786,0.084543&geocode=FaNfUQId7Rug-g%3BFT2kUQIdEbug-g%3BFT-bUQId1reh-g%3BFcqUUQIdZs2h-g%3BFZaJUQIdcjaj-g%3BFURmUQIdxxSl-g%3BFSBmUQId6Syl-g%3BFexkUQIdtr-l-g%3BFSlkUQIdNcCn-g%3BFS2IUQIdzEqr-g%3BFb2IUQIdAJKr-g%3BFb_oUQIdE52t-inloTkDIDd0iDEmeNcAZEXkVQ%3BFf38UQIdvQKu-ilNYnxJaTd0iDHL0OL2TJjPBg%3BFYfvUQIdlSCu-g&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=12&sz=14&via=11,12&z=10. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Illinois Department of Transportation (2010) (PDF). General Highway Map: Bond County, Illinois (Map). http://www.dot.state.il.us/maps/county/bond.pdf.
- Illinois Department of Transportation (2011) (PDF). General Highway Map: Fayette County, Illinois (Map). http://www.dot.state.il.us/maps/county/fayette.pdf.