Illinois Star Centre
|Address||3000 W. DeYoung St.|
|Developer||Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation|
|No. of stores and services||60+|
|No. of anchor tenants||3|
|Total retail floor area||600,000 square feet|
|No. of floors||1|
Illinois Star Centre, formerly Illinois Centre Mall, is an enclosed shopping mall in Marion, Illinois. Opened in 1991, it features more than 60 stores, including Dillard's, Sears and Target as anchor stores.
At the time that Illinois Centre Mall was being built, nearby Carbondale, Illinois already had a shopping mall, the University Mall. Because of its proximity, retail analysts predicted that competition between the two cities' retail sectors would "get pretty cut-throat". Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation developed the mall, whose initial anchor stores were Dillard's, Target, Phar-Mor and Sears, which relocated from University Mall. Illinois Centre Mall opened in 1990, resulting in the closure of the Sears at University Mall. University Mall sued Illinois Centre Mall's developers over the use of a state financing program to relocate the store, although the suit was later dismissed.
Barrett Rochman purchased the mall in 2011 and renamed it Illinois Star Centre. It is now owned by Sansone Group.
- "Illinois Centre Mall leasing". Official website. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Davenport, Paula (11 October 1990). "Retail Space, Competition For Customers Boom". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Construction under way at Marion; firms hired for work at Carbondale". The Southeast Missourian. 15 April 1990. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Knol, Ann Schottman (1988-11-02). "Carbondale Sears store plans move to Marion". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. p. 6B. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- Davenport, Paula M. (1990-10-11). "Retail space, competition for customers boom". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. p. 1I. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- Davenport, Paula (30 September 1991). "CENTRE STAGE: Mall Set For Grand Opening". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Mall opening". The Southeast Missourian. 29 September 1991. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Phar-mor to close store in Marion mall". The Southeast Missourian. 24 February 1993. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- Crow, Rob (2 February 2011). "New owner, new name for Illinois Centre". The Southern. Retrieved 25 June 2011.