Artwork for "Illumination Theory" 12" picture disc, released exclusively for Record Store Day 2014.
|Song by Dream Theater from the album Dream Theater|
|Format||CD, 12" picture disc|
|Genre||Progressive metal, symphonic metal, progressive rock, neo-classical|
|Dream Theater track listing|
"Illumination Theory" is a song by the progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater. The song was released on 23 September 2013, as the closing track of the band's 12th album Dream Theater. It features a string ensemble conducted and arranged by Eren Başbuğ. The song's lyrics, according to the guitarist John Petrucci, are about things for which people will live, die or kill. The song's length is 22:17, making it Dream Theater's fifth longest to date.
The entire song was released as a 12" picture disc exclusively for Record Store Day 2014 and limited to 2,700 copies.
- I. "Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire" (instrumental)
- II. "Live, Die, Kill"
- III. "The Embracing Circle" (instrumental)
- IV. "The Pursuit of Truth"
- V. "Surrender, Trust & Passion"
- Dream Theater
- James LaBrie – lead vocals
- John Petrucci – guitar, backing vocals, producer
- Jordan Rudess – keyboards, Continuum, GeoSynth App
- John Myung – bass guitar
- Mike Mangini – drums, percussion
- String ensemble
- Violin I - Misha Gutenberg (concert master), Larisa Vollis
- Violin II - Yelena Khaimova, Yevgeniy Mansurov
- Viola - Aleksandr Anisimov, Noah Wallace
- Cello - Anastasia Golenisheva, Valeriya Sholokhova
- Contrabass - Len Sluetsky
- Eren Başbuğ: orchestral arrangements, Conducting
- John Petrucci
- Bosso, Joe (18 September 2013). "Jordan Rudess talks Dream Theater's self-titled new album track-by-track". MusicRadar. Future. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "DREAM THEATER 2013 - Track by Track Interview with James LaBrie & John Petrucci". YouTube. Google. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Eren Basbug orquesta el nuevo álbum de Dream Theater: La Imagen de la Semana (LXXVI)". The Shaman's Blog. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2014.