|Years active||1971 – present|
|Founded by||Joensuu Pop Musicians' Association|
|Date(s)||Second full weekend of July|
|Genre||Alternative rock, Reggae, Hip Hop, Punk, Metal|
The Ilosaarirock Festival is an annual rock festival held on the second weekend of July in Joensuu, Eastern Finland. Founded in 1971, Ilosaarirock is the second oldest rock festival in Finland still active, and one of the oldest in Europe. In 2007 the event had 21,000 daily visitors. The festival sold out in advance every year from 1998 to 2011.
Ilosaarirock is an entity of events that in its entirety, with clubs and side-events, spans from Friday to Sunday. The actual festival takes place on Saturday and Sunday. The festival site, called Laulurinne, stages performances on five separate stages with over 50 artists. Including all events, Ilosaarirock weekend hosts over 100 artists.
Ilosaarirock is organized mainly by volunteers and is put together by over 1,500 volunteer workers. The Ilosaarirock festival’s graphic look is chosen through an open design contest every year. The Ilosaarirock festival is organised by Joensuu Pop Musicians' Association, which is a non-profit organisation. The profits of the festival are used to support the North Karelian music scene, bands and artists.
The 2012 festival took place on 13–15 July 2012. The headliners for 2012 were; 65daysofstatic, Against Me!, Antony and the Johnsons (USA) & Joensuu City Orchestra, Apocalyptica, Black Star, Children of Bodom, D-A-D, First Aid Kit, Goran Bregović & His Wedding and Funeral Orchestra, The Hives, Iiris, Mayhem, Modeselektor, Nasum, Pulled Apart by Horses, Richie Spice, Rival Sons, Tanya Stephens and The xx.
Past Dates & Headliners
- 15–17 July 2011
- 16–18 July 2010
- 17–19 July 2009
- with Apocalyptica, Bad Brains, Beenie Man, Children of Bodom, Damn Seagulls, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Disco Ensemble, Dizzee Rascal, Don Johnson Big Band, Dungen, Everything Is Made in China, Femi Kuti & The Positive Force, The Haunted, Huoratron, Husky Rescue, Isis, Killing Joke, Röyksopp, Stam1na, Stratovarius, Tragedy, Walls of Jericho.
- 11–13 July 2008
- 13–15 July 2007
- 14–16 July 2006
- 15–17 July 2005
- 16–18 July 2004
- 11–13 July 2003
- 12–14 July 2002
- HIM to Headline Ilosaarirock 2007, Press Release
- Ilosaarirock festival has been sold out — again!, Press Release
- Ilosaarirock 2007 Bands and Timetables
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ilosaarirock.|
- Official website
- Karelia Rocks!, Moving Hands Music Magazine
- DiS mixes with the metallers in Finland, Drowned in Sound
- Ilosaarirock in Nordic Festivals