11 July 1979|
Seoul, South Korea
|Other names||Lim Soo-jung|
|Revised Romanization||Im Su-jeong|
Im Soo-jung (Hangul: 임수정; born on July 11, 1979) is a South Korean actress. After modeling for teen magazines, Im made her acting breakthrough in Kim Jee-woon's horror film A Tale of Two Sisters (2003), followed by the popular television drama I'm Sorry, I Love You (2004). She has since appeared in numerous films, notably Park Chan-wook's I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (2006), Hur Jin-ho's Happiness (2007), Lee Yoon-ki's Come Rain, Come Shine (2011), and Min Kyu-dong's All About My Wife (for which she won Best Actress at the 2012 Blue Dragon Film Awards).
Im Soo-jung made her debut in 1998 as a cover model for teen magazines. She then moved onto television and film, but it was Kim Jee-woon's 2003 stylish horror A Tale of Two Sisters that first drew her critical notice and newcomer awards. A year later, the hit KBS2 drama series I'm Sorry, I Love You catapulted her into stardom. With Im looking much younger than her age, those projects solidified her image as an eternal ingenue, as did touching character study ...ing, horse jockey film Lump Sugar and Park Chan-wook's surrealist I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK.
In recent years she began shedding that image by taking on more adult roles, notable among them Hur Jin-ho's romantic melodrama Happiness, Choi Dong-hoon's blockbuster fantasy Jeon Woo-chi: The Taoist Wizard, romantic comedy Finding Mr. Destiny, and Lee Yoon-ki's minimalist breakup indie Come Rain, Come Shine. For her performance in All About My Wife, she won Best Actress at the Blue Dragon Film Awards, and the Women in Film Korea Awards.
Im and Lee Jung-jae played two artists in a post-apocalyptic environment in the short film El Fin del Mundo ("The End of the World"), which screened at the prestigious contemporary art exhibition dOCUMENTA. She also acted opposite veteran Thai actor Sorapong Chatree in Aditya Assarat's short film Phuket, which was commissioned jointly by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Association of Tourism and Hotel Operators of Phuket.
Im was previously part of the SidusHQ agency, and is currently being managed by KeyEast. KeyEast launched her official website in June 2012. According to the actress, the online space will be a place where she can converse with her fans directly.
|2002||The Romantic President||Han Young-hee|
|2003||A Tale of Two Sisters||Bae Su-mi|
|2005||Sad Movie||Ahn Soo-jung|
|2006||Lump Sugar||Kim Shi-eun|
|I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK||Cha Young-goon|
|Jeon Woo-chi: The Taoist Wizard||Seo In-kyung|
|2010||Finding Mr. Destiny||Seo Ji-woo|
|2011||Come Rain, Come Shine||Woman|
|2012||All About My Wife||Yeon Jung-in|
|El Fin del Mundo||short film|
|2001-2002||School 4||Oh Hye-ra||KBS2|
|2004||I'm Sorry, I Love You||Song Eun-chae||KBS2|
|2001||"I'm Sorry"||Kim Jang-hoon|
Awards and nominations
|1998||CeCi Magazine's Model Contest||N/A||N/A||Won|
|2003||24th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actress||
|2nd Korean Film Awards||Best New Actress||Won|
|23rd Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best New Actress||Won|
|4th Pusan Film Critics Awards||Best New Actress||Won|
|6th Director's Cut Awards||Best New Actress||Won|
|2004||24th Fantasporto Film Festival||Best Actress in International Fantasy Film||Won|
|18th KBS Drama Awards||Best Couple Award with So Ji-sub||
|Best New Actress||Won|
|2005||41st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (TV)||Nominated|
|2006||2nd Premiere Rising Star Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|27th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||
|2007||1st Asian Film Awards||Best Actress||
|43rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|28th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||
|2008||45th Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2012||5th Style Icon Awards||Style Icon||N/A||Won|
|49th Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||
|33rd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|13th Women in Film Korea Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|2013||49th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
- "Kang Dong-won Selected As Top Dream Date". KBS Global. 24 March 2005.
- "Commercial Vs. Avant-Garde: Park Chan-wook on Cyborg". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 December 2006.
- Lee, Ji-hye (4 March 2011). "Lim Soo-jung’s Movie Picks". 10Asia.
- Lee, Hyo-won (2 October 2007). "Actresses Gain Presence Onscreen". The Korea Times.
- "Lim Soo-jung Grows Up in New Tearjerker". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 September 2007.
- Lee, Ji-hye (18 November 2009). "Woochi set to work its magic - Part 1". 10Asia.
- Lee, Ji-hye (18 November 2009). "Woochi set to work its magic - Part 2". 10Asia.
- Lee, Hyo-won (12 February 2010). "Destiny sweetly reminisces first loves". The Korea Times.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (21 January 2011). "Come Rain invited to Berlinale". The Korea Times.
- "Director Lee defends pace of Berlin’s sole Asian entry". The Korea Herald. 18 February 2011.
- "Nagging Wife Role Lets Lim Soo-jung Explore Hidden Side" The Chosun Ilbo. 12 May 2012.
- Oh, Seol-hye (25 May 2012). "Everything About My Wife Lim Soojung becomes the trend". StarN News.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (26 April 2012). "The Secret Behind Im Soo Jung′s Baby Skin". enewsWorld.
- Ji, Yong-jin (4 December 2012). "PIETA Wins Best Picture at Blue Dragon Awards". Korean Film Council.
- "제33회 청룡영화상: 여우주연상 임수정 "후보만으로도 감사했는데..."". Blue Dragon Film Awards (in Korean). 29 November 2012.
- "Byun Young-joo Picked as Director of the Year by Female Film Critics". The Chosun Ilbo. 5 December 2012.
- Kim, Hyun-min (6 December 2012). "BYUN Young-joo Selected as the Woman Filmmaker of 2012". Korean Film Council.
- "Main Film: el Fin Del Mundo". News from Nowhere. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- Lee, Woo-young (11 June 2012). "Three Korean artists invited to world’s largest contemporary art fair". The Korea Herald.
- "Phuket". BIFF.kr. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Hong, Lucia (12 June 2012). "Actress Lim Soo-jung launches official website". 10Asia.
- Sunwoo, Carla (14 June 2012). "Lim Soo-jung says hello to the cyber world". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Tae, Sang-joon (23 June 2014). "LIM Soo-jung and YOO Yeon-seok Lead SECRET TEMPTATION Cranks-up". Korean Film Council.