original film poster
|Directed by||Robert Altman|
|Produced by||Tommy Thompson|
|Written by||Robert Altman
Susannah York (book, In Search of Unicorns)
|Music by||John Williams
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Running time||101 min.|
Images is a 1972 British-American psychological thriller film directed by Robert Altman and starring Susannah York. It follows an unstable children's author who finds herself engulfed in apparitions and hallucinations while staying at her remote vacation home.
Wealthy housewife and children's author Cathryn (Susannah York) receives a series of disturbing and eerie phone calls in her home in London one dreary night. The female voice on the other end suggests mockingly to her that her husband Hugh (René Auberjonois) is having an affair.
Cathryn's husband comes home, finding her in complete disarray. Hugh attempts to comfort her, but then he is gone, and she sees a different man who is behaving as if he were her husband. She screams in horror and backs away, only to see her vision of the figure revert to her husband.
Hugh attributes her outburst to stress and her budding pregnancy. He decides to take a vacation to the countryside at an isolated cottage. But as she dwells there, Cathryn delves into darker delusions as the stranger returns, and she finds it difficult to determine what is reality and what is in her mind.
- Susannah York as Cathryn
- Rene Auberjonois as Hugh
- Marcel Bozzuffi as Rene
- Hugh Millais as Marcel
- Cathryn Harrison as Susannah
- 1972 New York Film Critics Circle
- Nominated - Best Actress (Susannah York)
- 1972 Cannes Film Festival
- Won - Best Actress (Susannah York)
- Nominated - Golden Palm (Robert Altman)
- 44th Academy Awards
- 26th British Academy Film Awards
- 30th Golden Globe Awards
- Nominated - Best English-Language Foreign Film
- Writers Guild of America Awards 1972
- Nominated - Best Drama Written Directly for the Screen (Robert Altman)
- "Festival de Cannes: Images". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- Images at the Internet Movie Database
- Images at Rotten Tomatoes
- Chicago Sun Times Review of "Images" by Roger Ebert
- New York Times Review of "Images" by Howard Thompson