Images in Vogue
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
|Images in Vogue|
|Origin||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||New wave, synthpop|
|Associated acts||Skinny Puppy, cEvin Key|
|Past members||Dale Martindale
The band was formed in 1981 in Vancouver, and originally consisted of vocalist Dale Martindale, guitarist Don Gordon (later of Numb), synth players Joe Vizvary and Glen Nelson, bassist Gary Smith and percussionist Kevin Crompton (better known as cEvin Key). The band's manager was Kim Clarke Champniss, later to become a MuchMusic VJ.
The band released four EPs before their full-length debut, 1985's In the House. Their first notable chart hit was "Lust for Love", from the 1983 self-titled EP. Gordon left the band in 1984, and was replaced by Ed Shaw.
Crompton left Images in Vogue in 1986, indicating that the band was too commercial for his tastes, and concentrated on his side project Skinny Puppy. Crompton was replaced by Derrick Gyles. Nelson also left the same year, and was replaced by Tim Welch.
The band considered changing its name to The Spell while recording its 1988 album, but discovered that an Australian band was already using that name. The album ended up titled as The Spell, but the band remained Images in Vogue. That album was not commercially successful, however. By June 1988, Images in Vogue could no longer count on the support of its record label and this, combined with the band's internal conflicts, influenced Gary Smith to leave the band. Images in Vogue's final concert featuring original content was at Toronto's Opera House in November 1991, after which the band unofficially split as members pursued different ventures.
Since then, the band has continued to release various compilation CDs featuring remixes and live, rare and unreleased songs; additionally, rare, commercially unreleased tracks are made available for download by the band at its website. Images in Vogue reunited for gigs at Toronto's Opera House in 2002 and at Vancouver's Commodore Ballroom in 2004, and again in Toronto in 2012 as a special guest opening act for Spoons at their 30th anniversary show for their Arias and Symphonies album.
- 1981 - "Pre-Release" 7" EP
- 1982 - "Educated Man" 12" EP
- 1983 - "Lust For Love" 7" single
- 1983 - "Images in Vogue" 12" EP
- 1984 - "Just Like You" 7" single
- 1984 - "Rescue Me" 7" single
- 1984 - "Rituals" 12" EP
- 1985 - "Call It Love" 7" single
- 1985 - "Call It Love" 12" single
- 1985 - "Save It" 7" single
- 1986 - "In The House" 7" single
- 1986 - "In The House" 12" single
- 1986 - "In The House" 7" single (released in Australia only)
- 1986 - "In The House" 12" single (released in Australia only)
- 1988 - "So Careful" 7" single
- 1988 - "So Careful" 12" single
- 1988 - "Strangers" 7" single
- 1985 - In the House
- 1986 - In The House (released in Australia only)
- 1988 - The Spell
- 1994 - Best of Collection
- 2004 - Collection Version 2.0 : Chronology
- 2006 - Collection Version 3.0 : Evolution