Imagination (Brian Wilson album)
|Studio album by Brian Wilson|
|Released||June 16, 1998|
|Recorded||Fall 1997 - Spring 1998|
|Producer||Brian Wilson and Joe Thomas|
|Brian Wilson chronology|
Imagination 's best-known track is "Your Imagination", an adult contemporary Top 20 hit. The second single, "South American", which was co-written by Jimmy Buffett.
Wilson covered two of his own Beach Boys songs for Imagination: "Keep an Eye on Summer" and "Let Him Run Wild". In addition, "She Says That She Needs Me" was the result of a lyric re-write by Carole Bayer Sager of an original Wilson composition in 1965 (titled "Sandy She Needs Me" and later "Sherry She Needs Me"), while the closing song, "Happy Days", featured recycled elements of an unreleased Beach Boys track, "My Solution", from 1970. Most of the album's new songs were written by Wilson and collaborator Joe Thomas.
Imagination received moderately favorable reviews upon its release, though its commercial performance was relatively weak.
To promote the release of "Imagination", Brian Wilson performed a live taping for VH-1 at the St. Charles East High School auditorium in St. Charles, Illinois. The live performance included guest performances from Christopher Cross, Beach Boys member Bruce Johnston, and Eagles member Timothy B. Schmit. The concert, which was later incorporated with additional interviews from Elvis Costello, Eric Clapton, Sean Lennon, Stevie Wonder, and Jimmy Buffett, was released on VHS in 1998 and DVD in 1999 but is currently out-of-print. Your Imaginination and Lay Down Burden were aired as music videos on VH1, with the album audio played over the video, and clips of Brian walking through the woods "thinking" and "day dreaming" and images of him and his brothers on the screen.
Wilson dedicated the album to his brother Carl Wilson, who died of cancer earlier in the year.
Wilson supported the album with a tour, beginning with the Late Show with David Letterman on August 14, 1998.
- "Your Imagination" (Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas, Steve Dahl) – 3:38
- "She Says That She Needs Me" (Brian Wilson, Russ Titelman, Carole Bayer Sager) – 3:59
- Originally composed by Wilson in 1965 as "Sandy", and rerecorded in 1976 as "Sherry She Needs Me", but never released by The Beach Boys
- "South American" (Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas, Jimmy Buffett) – 3:44
- "Where Has Love Been?" (Brian Wilson, Andy Paley, J.D. Souther) – 2:17
- "Keep an Eye on Summer" (Brian Wilson, Bob Norman) – 2:48
- Originally released on The Beach Boys' Shut Down Volume 2 in 1964
- "Dream Angel" (Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas, Jim Peterik) – 3:21
- "Cry" (Brian Wilson) – 4:56
- "Lay Down Burden" (Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas) – 3:44
- "Let Him Run Wild" (Brian Wilson, Mike Love) – 2:29
- Originally released on The Beach Boys' Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) in 1965
- "Sunshine" (Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas) – 3:20
- "Happy Days" (Brian Wilson) – 4:44
- First section originally recorded by The Beach Boys as "My Solution" in 1970, but remained unreleased
Imagination (Giant 24703) hit #88 in the US during a chart stay of 2 weeks. It reached #30 in the UK.
- Allmusic review
- NME review
- Christgau, Robert. "Brian Wilson". Robert Christgau.
- Brian Wilson Solo Set Produces Weird Vibrations : Rolling Stone