March 27, 1982 |
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Youtube and Barack Obama impersonator
On December 14, 2005, a 23-year-old Crosson opened a YouTube account with screen name Alphacat. In July 2008, at the urging of his fellow waiters Crosson created spoof videos of then presidential candidate Barack Obama.
During the summer of the 2008 U.S. Presidential election campaign, Crosson's 30-second video won Denny's Restaurant's nationwide contest for the best impressionist of the then-candidate Barack Obama. He said that he "went from unemployed to self-employed in literally a matter of a month." Crosson moved from New York to California, obtained an agent specializing in helping talent cross over from online to mainstream, and was invited to be on America's Got Talent.
After Obama's January 2009 inauguration, Crosson was featured on several entertainment and news television shows, blogs and newspapers. Crosson was called a "YouTube sensation" by Fox News' Neil Cavuto.
Crosson's post-inaugural work included voice-overs in Newsweek's The District, a video series in which Crosson narrated Obama's first months in Washington from the President's point of view. Crosson impersonated Obama at the 66th Annual Radio and Television Correspondents' Association Dinner on March 17, 2010.
In October 2012, Crosson performed as Obama in the YouTube series Epic Rap Battles of History in the "Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney" episode, the music single of which was certified gold by the RIAA.
Along the Roadside
- Dziemianowicz, Joe, "Obama's YouTube impersonator is a changer to almost believe in", (includes interview) Politics section, nydailynews.com, January 15, 2009 (WebCite archive).
- Denny’s press release of August 28, 2008, entitled "Americans Select Best Presidential Posers, Denny's 'Vote For Real' Contest Names Best Impersonators" (WebCite archive).
- "Hello, Mr. President? (Dancing Obama impersonator turning into huge YouTube hit)" video (WebCite archive) of Neil Cavuto interviewing Crosson on foxnews.com, February 2, 2009.
- Broadcast live on C-SPAN2, recorded on cspan.org at "66th Annual Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner" , March 17, 2010 (Crosson's spot begins about 39 minutes into the video, after Vice President Joe Biden). Video embedded with program listing at: Velinska, Ellie, "Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner 2010 (Video)" (WebCite archive), March 18, 2010, publication of March 17, 2010, performance. Also, Gavin, Patrick, "Team '12: Obama Girl, Alphacat" (WebCite archive), Politico, February 14, 2012.
- Pham, Alex (August 1, 2013). "Maker Studio's Epic Rap Battles Scores RIAA Gold". Billboard. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013.
- Rizzo, Lisa, "Producer of new indie film tied to Cal Poly" (WebCite archive), CalCoastNews, November 23, 2012.
Metakwon Filmworks website, Belgrade Film Festival ("FEST") website (film title translated as Pored Puta), and article in Story.rs (2013-02-28).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iman Crosson.|