2002 Immanuel bus attack
|Immanuel bus attack|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Location||Immanuel, West Bank|
|Date||July 16, 2002
|Ambush, Mass murder, spree killing, Bombing, Shooting attack|
|Weapons||AK-47 rifles, hand grenades, a roadside bomb|
|Deaths||9 Israeli civilians|
|20 Israeli civilians|
The Immanuel bus attack was an ambush attack by Palestinian militants against Israeli civilians on 16 July 2002. It was carried out by three Palestinians disguised as Israeli soldiers.
The attackers first detonated a roadside bomb next to an armored civilian Dan No. 189 bus. Immediately afterwards, the assailants opened fire and threw hand grenades at the passengers. Nine Israelis were killed in the attack and 20 people suffered various degrees of injuries.
On Tuesday afternoon, 16 July 2002, three armed Palestinians militants disguised as Israeli soldiers planted a roadside bomb beside the road leading to the Jewish settlement of Immanuel, about 200 meters before the entrance to the town. After placing the bomb, the assailants ambushed a bus on its way from Bnei Brak.
At about 15:00 an armored Dan bus line 189, en route to Immanuel from Bnei Brak, approached the site as the roadside bomb exploded. As a result of the explosion, the bus was immobilized. The assailants fired small arms at the bus and threw hand grenades at the passengers through its roof and windows.
Nine people were killed in the attack and 20 people suffered various degrees of injuries.
- "NewsLibrary.com - newspaper archive, clipping service - newspapers and other news sources". Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Terrorist Attack on Bus at Emmanuel". Israeli Foreign Ministry. 2002-07-16. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- "The Day - Google News Archive Search". Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Hanna, Mike (2011). "CNN.com - Mike Hanna: Attack comes amid high security - July 16, 2002". cnn.com. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Terrorist attack on bus at Emmanuel - July 16- 200". mfa.gov.il. 2011. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "The Victoria Advocate - Google News Archive Search". Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Google News Archive Search". Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "The intifada that was - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". haaretz.com. 2011. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- Keren Kashani
- Ilana Siton
- Galila Ades
- Zilpa Kashi
- Gal Shilon
- Yocheved Ben-Hanan
- Sarah Tiferet Shilon
- Weinberg infant
- Israel arrest 16 in wake of attacks - published on The Vindicator on July 19, 2002
- Terrorist attack on bus at Emmanuel - July 16, 2002 - published on the Israeli Foreign Ministry website
- Eighth Immanuel victim was too young to have a name - published on the Haaretz on July 18, 2002
- Israel searches for bus attackers - published on CNN on July 17, 2002