|Born||January 30, 1923
West Point, Iowa
|Died||December 24, 2007
St. Petersburg, Florida
|Known for||nursing theory|
Imogene King (January 30, 1923 – December 24, 2007) was a pioneer of nursing theory development. Her interacting systems theory of nursing and her theory of goal attainment have been included in every major nursing theory text. These theories are taught to thousands of nursing students, form the basis of nursing education programs, and are implemented in a variety of service settings.
King's educational achievements began with a nursing diploma in 1945. She attended St. Louis University, earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 1948 and a Master of Science in Nursing in 1957. She subsequently earned a Doctor of Education from Teachers College, Columbia University.
King was on the faculty at Loyola University from 1961-1966 and 1972-1980. She directed the nursing program at Ohio State University between 1968 and 1972. She taught at University of South Florida from 1980 to 1990.
Awards and honors
- 2004: Hall of Fame Inductee, American Nurses Association
- 2005: Living Legend, American Academy of Nursing
- Alligood, Martha Raile, and Ann Marriner-Tomey. "Modelos y Teorías en Enfermería". Madrid: Harcourt Brace, 1999, ISBN 978-84-8174-348-7.
- "Bio: Imogene King". King International Nursing Group. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "Obituary: Imogene M. King". Tampa Bay Times. December 28, 2007. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "ANA Hall of Fame". American Nurses Association. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "Living Legends - Complete List". American Academy of Nursing. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- Stevens, Kathleen R; Messmer Patricia R (2008). "In remembrance of Imogene M. King, January 30, 1923 - December 24, 2007: Imogene, a pioneer and dear colleague". Nursing outlook (United States) 56 (3): 100–1. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2008.02.003. PMID 18501746.
- Lavin, Mary Ann; Killeen Mary B (2008). "Tribute to Imogene King". International journal of nursing terminologies and classifications : the official journal of NANDA International (United States) 19 (2): 44–7. doi:10.1111/j.1744-618X.2008.00080.x. PMID 18476843.
- Kennedy, Maureen Shawn (March 2008). "In Memoriam: Imogene King, December 24, 2007". The American journal of nursing (United States) 108 (3): 87. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000312271.47979.7b. PMID 18316926.
- Messmer, Patricia R (July 2007). "Imogene M. King over the years". Nursing science quarterly (United States) 20 (3): 198. doi:10.1177/0894318407303097. PMID 17849619.
- Frey, Maureen A; Sieloff Christina L, Norris Diane M (April 2002). "King's conceptual system and theory of goal attainment: past, present, and future". Nursing science quarterly (United States) 15 (2): 107–12. doi:10.1177/08943180222108895. PMID 11949478.
- King, I M; Sugimori M (October 1977). "A special interview: Dr. Imogene M. King". Kango kyōiku (Japanese journal of nurses' education) (JAPAN) 18 (10): 597–602. ISSN 0047-1895. PMID 336939.
|This biographical article about a nurse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|