||Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
In the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, an imp is a devilish creature based on the imps from folklore.
The imp first appeared in the first edition in the original Monster Manual (1977).
The imp appeared in second edition in Monstrous Compendium Volume One (1989), and reprinted in the Monstrous Manual (1993). The imp appeared for the Planescape setting in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1994).
The imp appeared in the third edition Monster Manual (2000) under the "devil" entry, and again in the 3.5 revised Monster Manual (2003). The imp appeared as a player character race in Savage Species (2003). The bloodbag imp, the euphoric imp, and the filth imp appeared in the third edition Fiend Folio (2003).
In the role-playing game, imps are weak devils and are typically wizards' familiars. An imp is able to shapeshift into two of the following forms at will: large spider, raven, giant rat, or goat.
Imps are always Lawful Evil and only associate with Lawful Evil wizards.
Types of Imp
- Imp - Clever devil that aids evil mortals with dark counsel and trickery.
- Imp, Filth - Foul-smelling imp with a talent for forgery and translation.
- Imp, Bloodbag - Imp that serves as infernal nurse corps.
- Imp, Euphoric - Imp that serves as dealer of hallucinogenic slime.
- ^ Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- ^ a b c d Cagle, Eric, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matt Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt. Fiend Folio (Wizards of the Coast, 2003)