Imperial Bank Limited
|Key people||Alnashir Popat
Managing Director & CEO
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US$21.453 million (KES:1.854 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$497.7 million (KES:43 billion) (2013)|
Imperial Bank Limited, commonly known as Imperial Bank, is a commercial bank in Kenya, the largest economy in East Africa. It is one of the forty-three commercial banks licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK), the central bank and national banking regulator.
The bank is a medium-sized retail bank that caters to both individuals and corporate clients. As of December 2013[update], the bank's total asset base was valued at about US$498 million (KES:43 billion), with shareholders equity of approximately US$66.2 million (KES:5.719 billion). At that time, Imperial Bank Limited was ranked the 19th largest Kenyan commercial bank, by assets, out of forty-three licensed banks in the country.
Imperial Bank Limited was established in 1992 as a Finance and Securities Company. In 1996, the bank commenced commercial banking services, following the issuance of a banking license by the Central Bank of Kenya. In January 2011, the bank, in partnership with Mukwano Group, a Ugandan business and manufacturing conglomerate, opened a subsidiary, Imperial Bank Uganda, with headquarters at 6 Hannington Road, on Nakasero Hill, in the center of Kampala's central business district.
Subsidiaries and Investments
The companies that comprise the Imperial Bank include the following:
- Imperial Bank Limited - Retail banking - Nairobi, Kenya - 100% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Kenya, serving individuals and businesses, focusing mainly on large corporations. This is the flagship company of the group.
- Imperial Bank (Uganda) Limited - Retail banking - Kampala, Uganda - 63.5% Shareholding - A commercial bank in Uganda.
|Imaran Investments Limited||14.0%||Alnashir Popat, the Chairman, has a 50% interest in this company.|
|Abdumal Investments Limited||14.0%||Anwar Hajee, Director, has a 50% interest in this company|
|Janco Investments Limited||13.5%||Abdulmalek Janmohamed, the Managing Director, has a 50% interest in this company|
|Rex Motors Limited||12.5%|
|Kenblest Limed||12.5%||Jinit Shah, Director, has a 50% interest in this company|
|Momentum Holdings Limited||12.5%||Mukesh Kumar Patel, Director, has a 50% interest in this company|
|EA Motor Industries Limited||11.0%||Vishnu Dhutia, Director, has a 50% interest in this company|
|Reynolds & Company Limited||10.0%||Hanif Mohamed Amirali Somji, Director, has a 50% interest in this company|
- Head Office - Imperial Court, Westlands Road, Westlands, Nairobi
- Westlands Branch - Imperial Court, Westlands Road, Westlands, Nairobi
- Upper Hill Branch - Bunyala Road, Upper Hill, Nairobi
- IPS Branch - IPS Building, 8th Floor, Kimathi Street, Nairobi
- Parklands Branch - Regal Plaza, Ground Floor, Limuru Road, 6th Avenue, Parklands, Nairobi
- Card Centre - Regal Plaza, Ground Floor, Limuru Road, Parklands, Nairobi
- Highridge Branch - Masari Road, Parklands, Nairobi
- Mombasa Branch - Imperial Bank Building, Kaunda Avenue, Mombasa
- Diani Branch - Beach Road Next to Collier Centre, Diani
- Karen Branch - 1st Floor, Cross Roads Mall, Karen, Nairobi
- Malindi Branch - Galana Centre, Lamu Road, Malindi
- Watamu Branch - Tourist Road, Watamu
- Thika Branch - Pushpa Plaza, Nkrumah Road, Thika
- Eldoret Branch I - Imperial Court, Nairobi Road, Eldoret
- Kilifi Branch - Kilifi Arcade, Biashara Street, Kilifi
- Industrial Area Branch - Bamburi Road, off Enterprise Road, Nairobi
- Village Market Branch - Village Market, Limuru Road, Gigiri
- Riverside Branch - Riverside Green Suite, 1st Floor, Riverside Drive, Nairobi
- Likoni Branch - Nova Holdings Complex, Nyerere Avenue, Mombasa
- Haile Selassie Branch - Blueroom Building, Haile Selassie Road, Mombasa
- Bamburi Branch - City Mall, 1st Floor, Bamburi, Mombasa
- Changamwe Branch - Rhino Properties Refinery Place, Mombasa
- Junction Branch - Junction Mall, Fourth Floor, Ngong Road, Nairobi
- Nakuru Branch - Ground Floor, Westside Mall, Nakuru
- Greenspan Branch - Manyanja Road, Off Outering Road, Nairobi
- Eldoret Branch II - Laboso House, Kenyatta Street, Eldoret
- Nyali Cinemax Branch - Nyali Cinemax, Mombasa.
Alnashir Popat, a non-executive director of the bank, serves as the Chairman of the seven-member board of directors. Abdulmalek Janmohamed is the chief executive officer of Imperial Bank Limited.
- CBK, . "Directory of Commercial Banks And Mortgage Finance Companies" (PDF). Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- IBKL, . (2014). "Audited 31 December 2013 Financial Statement" (PDF). Imperial Bank Kenya Limited (IBKL). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Bankalele, . (28 April 2014). "Kenya Bank Rankings By Assets In 2013". Bankelele.Co.Ke. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- IBKL, . "The History of Imperial Bank Limited". Imperial Bank Kenya Limited (IBKL). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- IBKL, . (January 2011). "Kenya's Imperial Bank Enters Uganda Market". WelcomeToKampala.Com. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Imperial Bank Limited Annual Report and Financial Statements 2012". Imperial Bank Limited. December 31, 2012. p. 59. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- IBKL, . (13 March 2013). "31 December 2012 Annual Report: Principal Shareholders" (PDF). Imperial Bank Kenya Limited (IBKL). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- IBG, . "The Branch Network of Imperial Bank Kenya Limited". Imperial Bank Group (IBG) Copyright © 2014 Imperial Bank Group. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- IBKL, . "Imperial Bank Kenya Limited: The Board of Directors". Imperial Bank Kenya Limited (IBKL). Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Website of Imperial Bank Limited
- Website of Central Bank of Kenya
- Imperial Bank’s Expansion Pays Off