Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror (Brassey's, 2004; ISBN 1-57488-849-8) is a book originally published anonymously, but later revealed to have been authored by Michael Scheuer, a CIA veteran with 22 years service, who ran the Counterterrorist Center's bin Laden station from 1996 to 1999.
In his video of September 7th 2007, bin Laden says that "if you would like to get to know some of the reasons for your losing of your war against us, then read the book of Michael Scheuer in this regard."
Reviews of Imperial Hubris
These reviews, ranging from high praise to scathing criticism, are presented in chronological order.
- Richard A. Clarke, Finally the CIA gets it right, Washington Post, June 27, 2004
- Michiko Kakutani, A Dark View of U.S. Strategy, New York Times, July 9, 2004
- Mark Follman, A spook speaks out, Salon Magazine, July 13, 2004
- Faye Bowers, We have met the enemy and he is us, Christian Science Monitor, July 13, 2004
- Benjamin Schwarz, A Review, Atlantic Monthly, August 10, 2004
- James. H. Joyner, Jr., Book Review, Strategic Insights, vol. 3, no. 9, September 2004
- Jason Burke, Why do they hate us?, The Guardian, September 4, 2004
- Eric Margolis, Why West is losing, Toronto Sun, September 12, 2004
- Jeff Helmreich, Empirical Hubris, Jerusalem Issue Brief, vol. 4, no. 4, September 13, 2004
- David Frum, Uncertain Trumpet, National Review, November 16, 2004
- Michael Scheuer, An author reviews the reviews of his book, lewrockwell.com, February 7, 2005
- Thomas Joscelyn, CIA Conspiracy Theorist, Weekly Standard, February 16, 2005
- Charles Glass, Cyber-Jihad, London Review of Books, vol. 28, no. 5, March 9, 2006
- Weinberger, Sharon (September 7, 2007), "Osama's Book Club: Michael Scheuer, Emmanuel Todd", Wired, retrieved 2007-09-19
- Liveleak.Com - Michael Scheuer We Shouldn'T Be The Sole Supporter Of Israel