|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Genres||Post-punk, New Wave, Alternative rock, Alternative pop, Punk rock|
Imperiet was a Swedish 1980s rock band from Stockholm, that existed from 1983 to 1988. They were arguably the most influential band in Sweden of the period, but definitely dominated the new wave scene, which at the time was seen as the same as the punk rock scene.
Imperiet started as Rymdimperiet, a side project to the most popular punk band in Sweden, Ebba Grön, and included three of its members. When Ebba Grön broke up in 1983, Rymdimperiet re-emerged as Imperiet; with Joakim Thåström (lead vocals, guitar), Anders "Stry" Sjöholm (vocals, guitar) and Gunnar "Gurra" Ljungstedt (drums), all three originally from Ebba Grön. They were joined by Christian Falk (bass) and Per Hägglund (sax, keyboards). Stry left in 1984 and Gurra left the following year, but was replaced by Fred Asp (drums). In 1987 Per Hägglund left and in 1988 Imperiet disbanded.
With some fame inherited from Ebba Grön, Imperiet got off to a flying start. Their songs were inspired by punk, rock and synthpop, and their lyrics were left-wing and anti-imperialist, with songs like "C. C. Cowboys", "Alltid rött, alltid rätt" (Always Red, Always Right), and "Var e vargen?" (Where’s the Wolf?) inspired by Russian Communist poet Mayakovsky.
Widely successful in Sweden and Scandinavia, Imperiet even toured overseas, playing in the United States and in Cuba, Central America and South America. In 1988, Imperiet released their only album in English, under the name Imperiet, containing translated versions of their old songs. But in spite of an intensive promotional tour through Europe, the album was only a success in Sweden, and this put an end to plans for an international career.
- 1983 - Rasera
- 1984 - Imperiet (Mini-LP)
- 1985 - Blå himlen blues
- 1985 - 2:a augusti 1985 (Live album)
- 1986 - Synd
- 1988 - Imperiet
- 1988 - Tiggarens tal
- 1988 - Live/Studio (Live album/compilation)
- 1990 - Kickar (Compilation)
- 1995 - Greatest Hits (Compilation)
- 2002 - Alltid rött alltid rätt (Compilation)
- 2009 - Silver, guld & misär (Compilation)
- 1981 - "Vad pojkar vill ha" (as Rymdimperiet)
- 1982 - "Alltid attack" (as Rymdimperiet)
- 1983 - "Felrättsnettheltfelrättsnett" (as Rymdimperiet)
- 1983 - "Alltid rött alltid rätt"
- 1984 - "Du ska va president"
- 1984 - "Fred"
- 1985 - "Märk hur vår skugga"
- 1985 - "C. C. Cowboys"
- 1986 - "Var e vargen"
- 1986 - "Peace"
- 1986 - "Österns röda ros"
- 1987 - "Saker som hon gör"
- 1987 - "19hundra80sju"
- 1988 - "Be the President"
- 1988 - "I hennes sovrum"
- 1988 - "...Som eld"