||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)
In Scientology, an implant is similar to an engram, in that it is believed to condition the mind in a certain way. The difference is that an implant is done deliberately and with evil intent. It is similar to Thought insertion. It is "an intentional installation of fixed ideas, contra-survival to the thetan".
The intention in the original engram or incident is to implant an idea or emotion or sensation, regarding some person, place, or thing, etc. The intention in Scientology and Dianetics is to erase the compulsive or command effect of the idea, emotion, sensation, etc. so that the person can make a rational judgment and decision in the affected areas of life.
Scientology practices often have to do with addressing implants taking place prior to the current lifetime — one of the most notable is the large R6 implant, said to have been placed in the human mind 75,000,000 years ago by Xenu — but in some cases current life implants are addressed. Examples of implants according to Scientology include Aversion therapy, Electroconvulsive therapy, hypnosis, various attempts at brainwashing, and the inducing of fear and/or terror. Note that this is not a complete list, as many kinds of incidents can include implants as an element.
Other important implants in Scientology doctrine include the Helatrobus implants, which Hubbard claimed occurred 382 trillion years ago to 52 trillion years ago by an alien nation called the Helatrobans. As the story goes, the Helatrobans were motivated by a fear of free thetans and sought to restrain them by capturing and brainwashing thetans in order to weaken them. These implants are said to linger in the subconscious minds of humans today, and are said to be responsible for the concept of Heaven.
 See also
 Lectures by Hubbard
- "The Helatrobus Implants", 21 May 1963
- "State of OT", 23 May 1963
- "Assists" lecture. 3 October 1968, #10 in the Class VIII series. (Audio extracts - )
- Saint Hill Special Briefing Courses, tapes 266, 268 and 272, 1963
 Hubbard Communications Office Bulletins
- "Aircraft Door Goals", HCOB April 17, 1963
- "Heaven", HCOB May 11, 1963 (no longer published by the Church of Scientology)
- "Routine 3N: Line Plots", HCOB 14 July 1963
- "Routine 3N - The Train GPMs - The Marcab Between Lives Implants", HCOB 24 August 1963
- ^ Hubbard, L. Ron Scientology Definitions II, 6612C06, SH Spec 83, 1966.