|Distributor(s)||Nail/Allegro Media Group, Revolver USA, Forced Exposure, Carrot Top Distribution, Cargo Records, F>A>B> Distribution|
|Genre||Contemporary, drone, drone metal, electronic music, experimental rock, folk, jazz, noise, psychedelic rock|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
Important Records is an American independent record label based in Groveland, Massachusetts. The idea behind the label is to be like a good record store, with releases from diverse artists and genres.
John Brien started Important Records in 2001 out of his Newbury, Massachusetts apartment, initially as an online store. Brien had been the assistant manager of a record shop in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. When the manager of the store was fired, he quit. Important's first two releases were Impossible Love by the American songwriter Daniel Johnston and Amlux by the Japanese noise musician Merzbow. In 2003, Important released A Is for Accident, the debut album of The Dresden Dolls.
Partial roster of artists
- "Distribution". Important Records. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Contact". Important Records. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Jeanne O'Brien Coffey (August 27, 2012). "Important Records". Northshore Magazine. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Mike Miliard (July 2002). "State of the art". Boston Phoenix. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- TJ Norris (April 29, 2004). "MICROVIEW :: Important Records". Igloo Magazine. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Important Records – 10 Years on…". Behind the Wall of Sleep. April 20, 2011. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "imprec015 The Dresden Dolls, A is for Accident". Important Records. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- "Tashi Wada debuts new label Saltern with a duets record featuring Charles Curtis and Judith Hamann". Tiny Mix Tapes. September 16, 2014. Retrieved September 16, 2014.