Improvement District No. 349
|Improvement District No. 349|
|Established||January 1, 2012|
|• Governing body||Alberta Municipal Affairs (AMA)|
|• Minister of AMA||Vacant|
|• CAO||Darryl Joyce|
|• MLAs||Ray Danyluk
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
Improvement District (I.D.) No. 349 was established through the approval of Order in Council 419/2011 passed by Alberta's Lieutenant Governor in Council on September 9, 2011. It was created from lands that were separated from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo and Lac La Biche County (the Alberta portion of the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range). The effective date of the improvement district's formation was January 1, 2012.
I.D. No. 349 was formed as a result of negotiations between the Province of Alberta, the City of Cold Lake, the Municipal District of Bonnyville No. 87, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, and Lac La Biche County. Under a tax revenue sharing agreement, the City of Cold Lake will receive a portion of the tax revenue generated by oil and gas activity on the air weapons range in 2012. The revenue will make the city more sustainable, offsetting its costs to provide infrastructure and services to support the military base located within the city.
As partial compensation for losing 11,600 km2 (4,500 sq mi) of land, Lac La Biche County received 1,500 km2 (580 sq mi) of land from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo south of the Conklin area and north of the air weapons range. It will also receive a portion of the tax revenue generated by oil and gas activity on the air weapons range from the City of Cold Lake and receive funding assistance from the provincial government.
As compensation to Wood Buffalo for the loss of jurisdiction over lands to Lac La Biche County and the new improvement district, the municipality received control over Crown land within its jurisdiction to accommodate future residential, commercial, and industrial growth. The transfer of control provided enough land for approximately 200,000 additional residents.
- "O.C. 419/2011". Province of Alberta. September 9, 2011. Retrieved September 12, 2011.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. July 4, 2014. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Municipal Profile: Improvement District No. 349". Alberta Municipal Affairs. January 20, 2012. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "Interim List of Changes to Municipal Boundaries, Status, and Names From January 2, 2011 to January 1, 2012 (Table 1 - Changes to census subdivisions in alphabetical order by province and territory)" (XLSX). Statistics Canada. November 14, 2012. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Air Weapons Range negotiations nearing completion – Council proposes an agreement with the Province". Lac La Biche County. September 12, 2011. Retrieved September 12, 2011.
- William Stodalka; Andrew Serba (September 12, 2011). "Air Weapons Range taxes could come to city by 2012". Cold Lake Sun (Sun Media Corporation). Retrieved September 13, 2011.
- "The new deal in Lac La Biche County". Lac La Biche Post (Great West Newspapers Limited Partnership). September 15, 2011. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "O.C. 418/2011". Province of Alberta. September 9, 2011. Retrieved September 16, 2011.