In 'n Out
|In 'n Out|
|Studio album by Joe Henderson|
|Recorded||April 10, 1964
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Joe Henderson chronology|
|All About Jazz||(favorable) |
In 'n Out is the third album by jazz saxophonist Joe Henderson released on the Blue Note label. It was recorded on April 10, 1964 and features performances by Henderson with Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyner, Richard Davis and Elvin Jones.
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow states that Henderson "has always had the ability to make a routine bop piece sound complex and the most complicated free improvisation seem logical... the music still seems fresh after three decades". The Penguin Guide to Jazz rates the album three and a half stars and states "while in general the temperature seems rather lower than on Henderson's other Blue Notes, it's fascinating, profound music."
All compositions by Joe Henderson except as indicated.
- "In 'N Out" - 10:23
- "Punjab" - 9:07
- "Serenity" - 6:16
- "Short Story" (Dorham) - 7:10
- "Brown's Town" (Dorham) - 6:23
- "In 'N Out" [Alternate Take] - 9:15 Bonus track on CD reissue
- Joe Henderson — tenor saxophone
- Kenny Dorham — trumpet
- McCoy Tyner — piano
- Richard Davis — bass
- Elvin Jones — drums
- Yanow, Scott (2011). "In 'n Out - Joe Henderson | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- Simmons, Greg (6 November 2012). "Joe Henderson: In 'N Out". allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Yanow, S. Allmusic review accessed February 20, 2009.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2002). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD (6th Ed.) Penguin Books. ISBN 9780140515213