In Ghost House Inn
|In Ghost House Inn|
|Music by||Alex Paul|
In Ghost House Inn is a 2010 comedy horror Malayalam film written, directed, and co-produced by Lal, and starring Mukesh, Jagadish, Siddique and Ashokan in the lead roles; the film is a sequel to the movies 2 Harihar Nagar (2009) and In Harihar Nagar (1990). It was produced by Lal and P. N. Venugopal under the banner of Lal Creations and PNV Associates. This movie too, was a box office hit like it's prequels.
The movie starts with the flashback of an incident which took place 70 years ago, in Dorothy bungalow, where Madam Dorothy Fernandez kills her husband, his lover and the driver.
The story shifts to the present day, where Thomas Kutty (Ashokan) buys a bungalow in Ooty with the cash which he received in 2 Harihar Nagar, with the intent of converting it into a resort. The property is believed to be haunted by the ghost of the mistress who was killed 70 years before. Thomas Kutty proves to his friends that these ghosts can be easily made by men, by keeping some men and women and disturbing Mahadevan and Govindan Kutty in their sleep. He also tells them that he had stayed there many days before he bought the bungalow, all alone. The three agree to stay with Thomas Kutty in the bungalow and bring their wives along. In the middle of the journey they see Father Dominic, who warns that the foursome are in the path of bad things. They do not pay heed to his words, but then the housekeepers employed by Thomas Kutty leave on the pretext of the house being haunted. At this point Thomas Kutty reveals that he had lied to the others about having stayed alone in the days before purchasing the bungalow. This revelation startles the four, who start fearing for their own and their wives' safety. After a series of unpleasant events, the four decide to apologize to Father Dominic and ask him for help. Fr. Dominic accompanies the four to the house and attempts to exorcise the house. But, things sour on their first meeting, when Dominic, mentions he is in no way associated to any church, he is a person involved in para normal activities. However before the 2 leaves his house, he warns of a threat from fire to one of their spouse. This turns true, the same night, when Thomas kutty's wife's saree catches fire, but she is rescued in the nick of time, & to a doctor sent by Father Dominic. Post this incident, the priest visit's the house, after his earlier advice to stay away from alcohol, meat & women is not followed by the friends, leaving Father Dominic injured in the left hand by an unknown force. Here things takes a bad turn, when the maid servant is seen possessed by the ghost. While exorcising the ghost, Father Dominic suffers a heart attack, & is declared dead. Thomas kutty sells the house to Dorothy for half the price. On their return journey, Mahadevan receives a call from Father Dominic, who says he faked his death & the doctor is his partner & the maid who was possessed was actually one of his minions, & she had a twin sister. However Mahadevan reveals, he realised Father Dominic was a fraud, when after his first encounter with the ghost in their house, Dominic accidentally bandaged his right hand instead of left hand. Similarly Appukuttan reveals he knew the doctor had lied about his death, as he had checked his pulse. Govindan reveals they bribed the registar with double the amount & he had revealed that Dorothy & Father Dominic are the same people. And as a final coup de grace, Thomas kutty reveals, they have the property & the amount he has the full amount he paid to Dorothy/Dominic for purchasing the property. The friends rejoice & head for Dorothy Bungalow.
- Mukesh as Mahadevan
- Siddique as Govindan Kutty
- Jagadish as Appukuttan
- Ashokan as Thomas Kutty
- Radhika as Marathakam/Ghost of Grace
- Nedumudi Venu as Father Dominic
- Rohini as Sulochana (Mahadevan's Wife)
- Lena as Parvathy (Govindan Kutty's Wife)
- Reena Basheer as Janaki (Appukuttan's Wife)
- Rakhi as Jessy (Thomas Kutty's Wife)
- Thampi Antony as Doctor
- Rajesh Hebbar as Sekhar
- Harisree Ashokan as Earnest
- Kochupreman as Thomas Kutty's relative
- Karishma Kotak as Dorothy Fernandez
- Anoop Chandran as Driver of Dorothy Fernandez
- Lakshmi Rai ... Special Appearance
- Kalabhavan Shajon as Driver
Shooting for the film began in early October 2009. It was scripted and directed by Lal, who also wrote and directed the film's prequels.
In Ghost House Inn received average to positive reviews, in contrast to its predecessor, which received mostly positive reviews. Rediff.com gave it 2 out of 5 stars, saying, "There's nothing new about In Ghost House Inn... this third instalment comes without much of a story line compared to the earlier films." Sify.com wrote, "In Ghost House Inn manages to entertain the viewers to some extent". Indiaglitz wrote, "All in all ‘In Ghost House Inn’ may find it little harder than its prequels to satisfy the ever demanding fans of the fantastic four." Similarly, Oneindia.com and Nowrunning.com gave average reviews to the film and gave it 2 out of 5 stars. But Zonekerala.com gave the film 4 out of 5 stars, saying, "The film has aptly made use of the resources available and is constructed at a modest budget. This movie is a must see for your family this season".
A sequel has been put into action titled as Harihar Nagar 4. After Lal's new movie Cobra, he will direct the 4th installment. The film is set out to release during the mid of 2013.
In Ghost House Inn was a super hit in the box office.
- "Entertainment News, Latest Entertainment News, Hollywood Bollywood News | Entertainment - Times of India". Movies.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "There's nothing new about In Ghost House Inn - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-03-26. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Movie Review:In Ghost House Inn". Sify.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "In Ghost House Inn Malayalam Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "In Ghost House Inn - Movie Reviews, Videos, Wallpapers, Photos, Cast & Crew, Story & Synopsis on". Popcorn.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "In Ghost House Inn Review - Malayalam Movie Review by VN". Nowrunning.com. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "In Ghost House Inn Review". Zonkerala.com. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Box Office 2010".