In Lovecraft's Shadow
Jacket illustration by Stephen E. Fabian for In Lovecraft's Shadow
|Illustrator||Stephen E. Fabian|
|Cover artist||Stephen E. Fabian|
|Genre||Fantasy, Horror short stories|
|Publisher||Mycroft & Moran|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|Pages||xiv, 351 pp|
In Lovecraft's Shadow: The Cthulhu Mythos Stories of August Derleth is a collection of fantasy and horror short stories by author August Derleth. It was released in 1998 by Mycroft & Moran in an edition of 2,051 copies.
The stories are part of the Cthulhu Mythos and several had appeared previously in the Arkham House collections: The Mask of Cthulhu (1958), The Trail of Cthulhu (1962) and Colonel Markesan and Less Pleasant People (with Mark Schorer, 1966).
In Lovecraft's Shadow contains the following tales:
- "Introduction", by Joseph Wrzos
- "A Few Words About the Artist", by Joseph Wrzos
- Part I: Homage, Thricefold
- "Providence: Two Gentlemen Meet at Midnight"
- Part II: North Woods Stories: Ithaqua of the Snows & Others
- "The Thing That Walked on the Wind"
- "Beyond the Threshold"
- "The Dweller in Darkness"
- Part III: Collaborations: Non-Lovecraftian
- Part IV: The Old Ones Abroad
- "Those Who Seek"
- "The God-Box"
- "Something from Out There"
- Part V: The Mythos in Verse
- Part VI: Miskatonic Valley Tales: Arkham & Environs
- "The Return of Hastur"
- "The Passing of Eric Holm"
- "The Sandwin Compact"
- "Something in Wood"
- "The Whippoorwills in the Hills"
- "The House in the Valley"
- "The Seal of R’lyeh"
- Part VII: On Cthulhu's Trail: The Laban Shrewsbury Stories
- "The House on Curwen Street: The Manuscript of Andred Phelan"
- "The Watcher from the Sky: The Deposition of Abel Keane"
- "The Gorge Beyond Salapunco: "The Testament of Claiborne Boyd"
- "The Keeper of the Key: The Statement of Nayland Colum"
- "The Black Island: The Narrative of Horvath Blayne"
- Part VIII: Coda, Epistolary
- "On Reading Old Letters. For H.P.L."
- Part IX: The Mythos in Miniature:
- "A Note on the Cthulhu Mythos"
- Appendix: The Derleth Cthulhu Mythos Stories (Excluding the Lovecraft Collaborations) in Order of Publication
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 846.
- Joshi, S.T. (1999). Sixty Years of Arkham House: A History and Bibliography. Sauk City, WI: Arkham House. pp. 186–187. ISBN 0-87054-176-5.
- Nielsen, Leon (2004). Arkham House Books: A Collector's Guide. Jefferson, NC and London: McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 156–157. ISBN 0-7864-1785-4.