In My Arms (Kylie Minogue song)
|"In My Arms"|
|Single by Kylie Minogue|
|from the album X|
|Released||16 February 2008|
|Recorded||2007; EMI Publishing Studios, Olympic Studios (London, England)|
|Length||3:32 (album version)
3:41 (radio edit)
|Kylie Minogue singles chronology|
"In My Arms" is a song by Australian singer-songwriter Kylie Minogue from her tenth studio album, X (2007). The track was written by Minogue, Calvin Harris, Richard "Biff" Stannard, Paul Harris and Julian Peake. It was produced by Calvin Harris and Stannard. The song was released as the worldwide second single from the album on 16 February 2008, while it served as the third single in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. It also made an appearance on her 2012 greatest hits album, The Best of Kylie Minogue. The song was introduced by Harris while she was recording in a studio in Brighton.
"In My Arms" is a synthpop inspired song, which features elements of retro and dance music as well. Lyrically, the song is about a lover by saying how it would feel in their arms. "In My Arms" received generally favourable reviews from some music critics, with some praising the lyrics and deeming it as one of the best tracks on the album. However, some reviewers were critical towards the production of the song. Commercially, "In My Arms" was generally successful, peaking inside the top ten in countries including Romania, Belgium, France, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. However, the song experienced lower success in her native Australia, where it peaked at thirty-five, becoming her lowest charting single of the decade since "Cowboy Style".
The music video for "In My Arms" was directed by Melina Matsoukas and filmed in Los Angeles, California, along with the video for "Wow". Minogue has performed the song on three of her concert tours. The first being the KylieX2008 Tour, where it featured her as a coachman in the 19th century, where the backdrop was only black and white. She additionally performed the song on her North American tour For You, For Me and Aphrodite World Tour. More recently, it was performed on her Kiss Me Once Tour in 2014.
Background and release
Before the production of X, Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer on 17 May 2005. leading to the postponement of the remainder of her Showgirl — The Greatest Hits Tour and her withdrawal from the Glastonbury Festival. While recovering in Melbourne, Minogue began writing lyrics towards the end of her cancer treatment in mid-2006, having not worked on any music for the previous year. Due to the recovery time following her cancer, X was the first album Minogue had consciously prepared for the recording of, having previously been engaged for much of her career in an endless cycle of record, release and tour.
"In My Arms" was served as the album's second single worldwide, while it was the third single in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. Because of this, the aftermath single was "Wow", which was the second single in those countries. However, because "In My Arms" was not released in North America, "Wow" was then served as the only club single in that country as they wanted "All I See" as the first mainstream single in North America. However, after the release, it was unsuccessful in the charts. It is also noted that "In My Arms" was released one day before the single "Wow". Musically, "In My Arms" is a synthpop and dance-pop inspired song. It is Minogue's first single to be issued on 7" vinyl since 1997's "Some Kind of Bliss".
"In My Arms" garnered positive reviews from pop music critics. Tom Ewing in a review for Pitchfork Media compared the song to French electronic music duo Justice and wrote that Minogue "bounces around the tune with gusto". Prefix Magazine reviewer Bruce Scott described it as "fuzzed-out" and "synth heavy", and wrote that it was "full of the kind of exuberant charm that made a track like 'Love at First Sight' a past hit". According to Evan Sawdey from PopMatters, the song is "a track that absolutely demands your attention."
Mark Sutherland from Billboard gave a positive review, writing, "You'll search in vain for insight into her recent personal traumas, but there's still plenty of heart and soul [...] her best batch of tunes in a while." Peter Robinson from The Observer said about the song that "the high points are best viewed as four great tracks for her next greatest hits collection rather than any reflection of this album's cohesion." Jax Spike from About.com considered it as a sublime track "which flow evenly throughout and are definitely great songs to pass the time by at your favorite skating alley."
Nevertheless, "In My Arms" received negative reviews. In a review for Allmusic, Christopher True was not impressed with "In My Arms" and called the song "cold, calculated dance-pop". Joan Anderman from The Boston Globe said that the song is an "icy dance-pop anthem." Dave Hughes from Slant Magazine, wrote, "the filmsy, nearly-punk Calvin Harris production 'In My Arms', which is essentially what a neon-orange feather boa would sound like if it were a song."
In Belgium, the track debuted on the Flemish singles chart at number thirty-three on 3 February 2008. The following week it rose to number fourteen. The track was also successful on Belgium's Walloon singles chart where it reached number eleven. "In My Arms" reached number eight in Greece and Germany—where it became Minogue's first top ten single since 2003's "Slow"—, as well as number ten in France on the physical chart and number two on the downloads chart, becoming her biggest hit in France since 2001's "Can't Get You Out of My Head". Elsewhere, the song reached the top five in the Czech Republic and Turkey, the top ten in Slovakia and Switzerland, and the top twenty in Austria, Ireland, the Netherlands and Sweden.
The single entered the UK Singles Chart at number sixty-nine on downloads alone, peaking at number ten three weeks later. In Australia, "In My Arms" became Minogue's lowest-charting single in a decade (since 1998's "Cowboy Style"), peaking at number thirty-five and spending only two weeks in the top fifty. In the United States, though the song was not released officially, it received moderate airplay, charting on the American radio airplay chart in the first day of the plays at American radio.
The music video for "In My Arms" was directed by Melina Matsoukas and filmed in Los Angeles, California, along with the video for "Wow". There are five main sequences: the first features Minogue dressed in a crimson and white-chequered outfit, designed by Gareth Pugh (a piece worn by Irish singer Róisín Murphy in her "Overpowered" video the previous year), with futuristic sunglasses; the second has Minogue singing into a microphone, on a blue recording room; the third scene is with a troupe of dancers; the fourth features Minogue in a yellow dress dancing in a pink box; and in the final scene she dances in front of a giant fan wearing a Dolce & Gabbana dress. As the video concludes, the five scenes are intercut and gradually fade. The video premiered on the Internet on 29 January 2008. It premiered on television stations across Europe on 31 January 2008. "In My Arms" is Minogue's most watched video on YouTube, with over fourteen million views as of 21 March 2010.
EMI Music asked Mexican singer-songwriter Aleks Syntek to record some vocals in Spanish for the song in early 2008. The song was first published through Syntek's official YouTube channel on 24 April 2008, and was later confirmed by EMI and the Mexican press that the song was indeed real and was set to be released to Mexican radio stations in the last week of April. It was later confirmed that the song would be included on Syntek's compilation album, Best of 1988–2008, released in Mexico in June 2008. A special Mexican edition of X was also planned for release in May, but it was then delayed to 26 August 2008.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "In My Arms".
UK 7" single
(This format features alternate cover-art in different territories)
Since the song was released, "In My Arms" has been performed at all of Minogue's tours bar the Anti Tour. In 2008, Minogue performed the song on her KylieX2008, promoting the album X. It was performed as the last song in the act entitled Black Versus White'. This was the fourth act in the Opening Night set order, which the song was followed by a performance of "Love at First Sight" which ended the act, the seventh in the Main Set and Open Air / Amphitheater sets and fifth in the Festival set, where "In My Arms" finished all three. Minogue then performed the song on her North American tour in later 2009. It was served as the last song of the sets until the encore. The song was most recently performed on Minogue's Aphrodite: Les Folies Tour in 2011. It was a more rock-oriented version of the song and was performed as the last song of the first half of the show. The song was performed after a remixed version of "Confide in Me" and a rock version of "Can't Get You Out of My Head". Minogue wore a big, open bottomed dress that was a turquoise colour with big silver platforms. The song's most recent performance has been on Minogue's Kiss Me Once Tour where it served as the second song after a performance of Les Sex.
- Kylie Minogue – lead vocals
- Calvin Harris – producer
- Richard "Biff" Stannard – producer
- Geoff Pesche – mastering
Credits adapted from the X liner notes.
|Germany||15 February 2008||EMI|
|France||25 February 2008||
|United Kingdom||5 May 2008||
- Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, 25 June 2010
- "Minogue's cancer shock ends tour". CNN. 17 May 2005. Retrieved 21 January 2007.
- Ewing, Tom. Ewing, Tom (2007-11-30). "Kylie Minogue X Pitchfork Record Review". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Scott, Bruce (2008-02-12). "Kylie Minogue X Review". Prefix Magazine. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Sawdey, Evan (2008-04-01). "Kylie Minogue: X". PopMatters. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Sutherland, Mark (2007-11-23). "Billboard CD reviews: Kylie Minogue, Gorillaz". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media Inc. Reuters.com. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- Robinson, Peter (2007-11-11). "Britney Spears, Blackout and Kylie Minogue, X". The Guardian. The Observer. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- Spike, Jax. "Kylie Minogue - X". About.com. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- True, Christopher M. In My Arms (Kylie Minogue song) at AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Anderman, Joan (2008-04-01). "Back at it, Kylie mines gold from glitter". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Hughes, Dave (2008-02-18). "Kylie Minogue: X". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- "Belgium Singles Top 50 (Saturday February 23rd, 2008)". αCharts.us. Retrieved 26 February 2008.
- "Kylie Minogue – In My Arms" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "In My Arms" receiving airplay in the United States
- Adams, Cameron. "Kylie Minogue keeps mum on tour plans". Herald Sun. 15 January 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- "Entertainment". Bild-Zeitung. Retrieved 29 January 2008.
- Harmsworth, Andrei. "Kylie's new alien video leaked". Metro. 30 January 2008. Retrieved 31 January 2008.
- ""In Your Arms" featuring Aleks Syntek". YouTube. 2008-04-24. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Syntek busca la internacionalización (in Spanish)". Vanguardia.com.mx. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Une Aleks Syntek su talento al de Kylie Minogue (in Spanish)". Eluniversal.com.mx. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- In My Arms (European CD Single #1 liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 50999 521166 0 5.
- In My Arms (European CD Single #2 liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 50999 521165 0 6.
- In My Arms (European 12-inch Picture Disc liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 50999 514958 1 7.
- In My Arms (UK CD Single #1 liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 50999 212984 2 4.
- In My Arms (UK CD Single #2 liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 50999 212838 0 2.
- In My Arms (UK 7-inch ingles liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 50999 212838 7 1.
- In My Arms (UK 7-inch ingles liner notes). Kylie Minogue. Parlophone. 2008. 5144281962.
- Minogue, Kylie (2007). X (Liner Notes) (Compact Disc). Kylie Minogue. London, England: Parlophone.
- "Australian-charts.com – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Austriancharts.at – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Ultratop.be – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Ultratop.be – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200828 into search. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Danishcharts.com – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms". Tracklisten. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Kylie Minogue Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Kylie Minogue. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Lescharts.com – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Officialcharts.de – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Chart Track: Week 19, 2008". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Kylie Minogue search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Nielsen Music Control". Archived from the original on 2008-06-09.
- "Tophit". Tophit. Archived from the original on 2008-03-24. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200820 into search. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms". Singles Top 60. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kylie Minogue – In My Arms". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Billboard Türkiye Top 20". Billboard Türkiye. Archived from the original on 2008-03-30. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- "Archive Chart: 2008/05/17" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Jahreshitparade 2008" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2008" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Rapports annuels 2008" (in French). Ultratop 50. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Jaargang 44, 2008" (in Dutch). Top 40. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Euopean Hot 100 Year-End 2008". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Classement Singles – année 2008" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Single Jahrescharts 2008" (in German). MTV Germany. 16 December 2008. Archived from the original on 1 February 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Swiss Year-End Charts 2008". swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "In My Arms: Kylie Minogue: Musik" (in German). Amazon.de. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- "In My Arms: Kylie Minogue: Musique" (in French). Amazon.fr. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- "In My Arms: Kylie Minogue: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-04-06.