In Too Deep (film)
|In Too Deep|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Rymer|
|Produced by||Paul Aaron
Michael Henry Brown
|Written by||Michael Henry Brown
LL Cool J
|Music by||Christopher Young|
|Edited by||Dany Cooper|
|Distributed by||Dimension Films|
|Release dates||August 25, 1999|
|Running time||104 min.|
In Too Deep is a 1999 American crime-thriller-drama film written by Michael Henry Brown and Paul Aaron, and directed by Michael Rymer and starring Omar Epps, LL Cool J, Stanley Tucci with Pam Grier and Nia Long.
In Too Deep is a story about Dwayne Gittens (LL Cool J), an underworld boss so powerful that his nickname is "god". He controls eighty percent of the drug traffic in Cincinnati, Ohio, controls many of his opponents through bribery or intimidation, and appears to be untouchable. An undercover cop Jeffrey Cole (Omar Epps) posing as a drug dealer under the name of J. Reid from Akron, Ohio is determined to be the man who brings down God's underworld empire. He goes undercover and assumes an identity that allows him to infiltrate God's organization. However, the longer Cole remains inside the underworld, the more he becomes a product of it.
- Omar Epps — Jeff "J. Reid" Cole
- LL Cool J — Dwayne Keith "God" Gittens
- Nia Long — Myra
- Stanley Tucci — Preston D'Ambrosio
- Hill Harper — Breezy T.
- Jake Weber — Daniel Connelly
- Richard Brooks — Wesley
- David Patrick Kelly — Rick Scott
- Pam Grier — Det. Angela Wilson
- Veronica Webb — Pam
- Ron Canada — Dr. Bratton
- Robert LaSardo — Felipe Batista
- Gano Grills - Frisco
- Ivonne Coll — Mrs. Batista
- Don Harvey — Murphy
- Jermaine Dupri — Melvin
- Lloyd Adams - Ray-Ray
- Philip Akin - Minister
- Anna Carolina Alvim - Esperanza Batista
- Karina Arroyave - G.G.
- Chris Collins — Lookout
- Guillermo Díaz — Miguel Batista
- Aunjanue Ellis — Denise
- Sticky Fingaz — Ozzie
- Michie Mee — Martha (as Michi Mi)
- Mýa Harrison — Loretta
- Shyheim Franklin — Che
- Nas — Drug Dealer on Street Corner
The movie recouped its budget.
A soundtrack containing hip hop music was released on August 24, 1999 by Columbia Records. It made it to No. 28 on the Billboard 200 and No. 8 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and featured 50 Cent's debut single, "How to Rob".
This movie was based on a book about the takedown of a Boston ganglord named Darryl Whiting but born Duane O. Gittings hence the nickname GOD.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
- "Cop Thriller 'In Too Deep' Rises Above Formulaic Plot". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "FILM REVIEW; A Conflicted Detective, A Drug Lord Named God". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Company Town : Company Town Film Profit Report". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.