In with the Out Crowd
|In with the Out Crowd|
|Studio album by Less Than Jake|
|Released||May 23, 2006|
|Genre||Punk rock, Pop Punk|
|Less Than Jake chronology|
In with the Out Crowd is the sixth studio album by American ska-punk band Less Than Jake, released on May 23, 2006 on Sire Records. Upon its release, drummer and lyricist, Vinnie Fiorello, described the record as "a mix of [previous albums] Hello Rockview, Borders and Boundaries and Anthem."
The album is notable for featuring far less involvement from its horn section than on past albums. In an interview promoting the band's subsequent album, GNV FLA (2008), saxophonist JR noted, "There was a lot of backlash from our last record from a lot of our core fans. And whether it was deserved or not is neither here nor there. It's not worth fighting about, because my opinion of our last record has never changed; it's an awesome record, and I love it." 
Prior to the album's release, Vinnie stated that the album:
"won't be a throwback record. It isn't like anything we've done before. There's slow, The Specials influenced ska, very minor chord ska, over the top, catchy pop-punk, some Foo Fighters influences too. Doing the same record twice would short change the people who like the band. You know, things can't feel redone. You have to try to keep pushing the genre and the band style forward."
Similarly, guitarist, Chris Demakes, notes that the band:
"jumped out of the box a little bit and we did something a little different. I think we’re up to like 140 songs as a band, and you release some songs and a bunch of kids bitch about it. “Oh, this band is over with!” It’s like, “We tried something different. If you like it, you like it. If you don’t, you don’t.”
The album artwork features a photo collage of pictures sent in by fans. The band members themselves are mixed throughout.
500 limited edition vinyl LPs of the album were made, and distributed through various events, including the band's "6 Albums/ 6 Shows/6 Nights" tours in Florida and London. The LPs come on purple swirl vinyl with orange labels and the album's cover printed on translucent paper. 
The album reached #78 on the billboard charts.
|1.||"Soundtrack of My Life"||2:59|
|2.||"A Still Life Franchise"||3:28|
|3.||"Overrated (Everything Is)" (co-written with Holly Knight)||3:10|
|6.||"Don't Fall Asleep on the Subway"||3:16|
|7.||"Landmines and Landslides"||2:58|
|8.||"The Rest of My Life" (co-written Mark Hoppus)||3:33|
|10.||"Let Her Go"||2:23|
|12.||"P.S. Shock the World"||4:06|
Less Than Jake
- Chris Demakes - guitar, vocals
- Roger Manganelli - bass guitar, guitar, vocals
- Vinnie Fiorello - drums, lyrics
- Buddy Schaub - tenor trombone
- Peter "JR" Wasilewski - tenor saxophone, vocals
- Howard Benson - producer
- Mike Plotnikoff - mixing, recording
- Chris Lord-Alge - mixing (3, 4, 8 and 11)
- Paul DeCarli - horns recording, Pro Tools editing
- Hatsukazu Inagaki - assistant engineer
- Jon Nicholson - drum tech
- Ian McDonnel - guitar tech
- Marc Vangool - guitar tech
- Ian Suddarth - mixing assistant
- Chuck Anderson - artwork
- Vinnie Fiorello - art direction
- Ellen Wakayama - art direction
- Jonathan Selig - layout
|"Overrated (Everything Is)"||-||61|
|The Rest of My Life||-||77|
A special edition of the album was also released. It included:
- In with the Out Crowd CD
- a DVD featuring twenty minutes of studio footage
- a data disc including 319 photos, 26 MP3s of live songs, 13 live videos (MP4/QuickTime files), 4 buddy icons, 4 wallpapers and a screensaver
- "Negative Sides of Optimistic Eyes"
- "We, the Uninspired"
- "Only Human"
"Negative Sides of Optimistic Eyes" and "We, the Uninspired" were included on the EP Absolution for Idiots and Addicts which was made available prior to the release of In with the Out Crowd. It was available on CD and in the iTunes Store. "Negative Sides of Optimistic Eyes" and "Only Human" are also available as part of other albums/singles in other regions.
There is a fourth song that was dropped from the album. It is currently unreleased and its title is unknown, as it has no vocal track and thus is not high on the band's list of priorities.
- "Even Trophy Boys and Girls Sing the Blues" (released as a bonus track on iTunes)
- "Misfits And Malcontents" (B-side to the "Rest of My Life" single)
- "A Song For Everyone That Survived The Season" (currently unreleased)
- Pastorek, Whitney (May 19, 2006). "In With the Out Crowd: Music Review:Entertainment Weekly". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- Less Than Jake - 11.22.05 - Interview - AbsolutePunk.net
- MORE THAN SURVIVORS | APP.com | Asbury Park Press
- Less Than Jake: Latest CD Is 'A Quintessential LTJ Record' | Interviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
- Pick Your Poisons
- AllMusic Charts: In With the Out Crowd Accessed 19 October 2007
- IGN Music | Madden NFL 07 Soundtrack